Mar 8, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Edwin Jackson gave up three runs on four hits in his start against the Indians on Friday, but that wasn’t the shocking part of what happened. Unbeknownst to manager Rick Renteria and pitching coach Chris Bosio, Jackson threw all fastballs in his outing — 50 of them.
“I think maybe, as we talk about fastball command, maybe he was thinking, ‘I’m going to try to hit the spots,’” Renteria said. “He got into a little trouble yesterday and he had some elevated pitches and some pulled pitches. I think you have to kind of allow some flexibility in what he’s trying to do. In his mind’s eye, he had a particular idea of what he wanted to do and he did it for three innings.”
Was Renteria surprised at Jackson’s game plan?
“I saw a lot of fastballs,” Renteria said. “I’ll just say that I noticed it.”
According to FanGraphs, Jackson threw fastballs at his highest rate since 2009. Additionally, his fastball velocity was at its lowest since 2005 with the Dodgers.
Hitters last season posted a .370 weighted on-base average on Jackson’s fastball. For a nifty comparison, Jose Bautista posted a .372 wOBA last season, so hitters essentially were like Bautista against Jackson’s heaters. One can understand the right-hander’s insistence on improving it.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)