Mar 8, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: While recent reports have indicated that Ervin Santana is looking to find a team as soon as possible, FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi reports that the free agent right-hander has not set a deadline and is prepared to wait “days” before signing with a club. The wait continues.
1:15 p.m. ET: More intrigue. Enrique Rojas of ESPN.com reports (story in Spanish) that Santana is deciding between a one-year, $14 million deal with the Blue Jays and a one-year, $13 million deal (plus incentives) with the Orioles.
12:30 p.m. ET: It’s apparently not a deal done yet. Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes hears that Santana will sign with the Blue Jays if he doesn’t receive a better offer by 5 p.m. ET. Meanwhile, FOX Sports’ Jon Morosi reports that the Blue Jays and Santana are working toward a deal, but an agreement is not in place.
12:22 p.m. ET: The mystery team has been identified. According to Dionisio Soldevila of ESPN Deportes, the Blue Jays and free agent right-hander Ervin Santana have agreed to terms on a one-year, $14 million contract.
Soldevila reported this morning that Santana was set to sign a one-year, $14 million deal with an American League team. The Blue Jays and Orioles were considered the most logical fits, but Toronto was apparently able to get the deal done.
Santana was reportedly hoping to land a $100 million contract this winter after posting a 3.24 ERA and 161/51 K/BB ratio over 211 innings last season with the Royals, but draft pick compensation and worries over his elbow greatly diminished his market. However, it looks like he’ll still get a deal close to the one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer he turned down from the Royals.
Assuming the deal gets done, Santana would join a rotation which projects to include R.A. Dickey, Brandon Morrow, Mark Buehrle, and J.A. Happ. The Blue Jays have two protected first-round picks this year (one is for finishing with one of the 10 worst records last season and the other is for failing to sign their first-round pick last year), so they would only have to surrender their second-round pick in order to sign him.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 22
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)