Mar 8, 2014, 9:08 AM EST
The Ervin Santana saga is reaching its conclusion.
According to Dionisio Soldevila of ESPN Deportes, Santana will sign a one-year, $14 million contract with an American League team. This report comes less than 24 hours after Soldevila passed along word that a frustrated Santana fired his agent, Bean Stringfellow, and could negotiate his own contract.
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reported last night that Santana was looking to sign a one-year deal as soon as possible, preferably with a strong offensive team. If Soldevila’s report from this morning is accurate, we can probably peg the Orioles and Blue Jays as the favorites to be that mystery AL team. However, the Rangers and Mariners have also been mentioned as possibilities this winter. Stay tuned.
Santana, 31, posted a 3.24 ERA and 161/51 K/BB ratio over 211 innings last season. He turned down a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer from the Royals in order to test free agency. While he was hoping to cash in after his excellent season, being attached to draft pick compensation has had a major impact on his market.
UPDATE: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that Santana is discussing a one-year, $14 million deal with the Orioles and Blue Jays. There’s also an unidentified National League team (but believed to be the Rockies) which is considered to be “on the fringe” of talks. A deal is expected to come together soon.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)