Mar 8, 2014, 9:08 AM EDT
The Ervin Santana saga is reaching its conclusion.
According to Dionisio Soldevila of ESPN Deportes, Santana will sign a one-year, $14 million contract with an American League team. This report comes less than 24 hours after Soldevila passed along word that a frustrated Santana fired his agent, Bean Stringfellow, and could negotiate his own contract.
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reported last night that Santana was looking to sign a one-year deal as soon as possible, preferably with a strong offensive team. If Soldevila’s report from this morning is accurate, we can probably peg the Orioles and Blue Jays as the favorites to be that mystery AL team. However, the Rangers and Mariners have also been mentioned as possibilities this winter. Stay tuned.
Santana, 31, posted a 3.24 ERA and 161/51 K/BB ratio over 211 innings last season. He turned down a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer from the Royals in order to test free agency. While he was hoping to cash in after his excellent season, being attached to draft pick compensation has had a major impact on his market.
UPDATE: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that Santana is discussing a one-year, $14 million deal with the Orioles and Blue Jays. There’s also an unidentified National League team (but believed to be the Rockies) which is considered to be “on the fringe” of talks. A deal is expected to come together soon.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)