Mar 8, 2014, 11:57 AM EST
The Royals gave Wade Davis a chance to win a rotation spot this spring even after he struggled as a starter last season, but Royals manager Ned Yost told Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star this morning that the 28-year-old right-hander is out of the fifth starter competition and will pitch out of the back end of the bullpen in 2014.
It’s the right call, as Davis posted a 5.67 ERA in 24 starts last season before being yanked from the rotation. The 28-year-old immediately saw a velocity spike after being moved back to the bullpen and allowed just one run in 10 innings in September. He posted a 2.43 ERA and 87 strikeouts over 70 1/3 innings as a reliever with the Rays in 2012, so the hope is that he can help make up for the absence of Luke Hochevar, who is set to undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery.
Davis was a long shot to win a rotation spot anyway, but the fifth starter job will now come down to Yordano Ventura or Danny Duffy. James Shields, Jeremy Guthrie, Jason Vargas, and Bruce Chen will fill out the first four spots.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (134)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)