Mar 8, 2014, 11:57 AM EST
The Royals gave Wade Davis a chance to win a rotation spot this spring even after he struggled as a starter last season, but Royals manager Ned Yost told Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star this morning that the 28-year-old right-hander is out of the fifth starter competition and will pitch out of the back end of the bullpen in 2014.
It’s the right call, as Davis posted a 5.67 ERA in 24 starts last season before being yanked from the rotation. The 28-year-old immediately saw a velocity spike after being moved back to the bullpen and allowed just one run in 10 innings in September. He posted a 2.43 ERA and 87 strikeouts over 70 1/3 innings as a reliever with the Rays in 2012, so the hope is that he can help make up for the absence of Luke Hochevar, who is set to undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery.
Davis was a long shot to win a rotation spot anyway, but the fifth starter job will now come down to Yordano Ventura or Danny Duffy. James Shields, Jeremy Guthrie, Jason Vargas, and Bruce Chen will fill out the first four spots.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)