Mar 9, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
Evan Drellich has an in-depth feature in the Houston Chronicle about the Astros’ built-from-scratch private online database, which is now being used by the entire baseball operations department to improve scouting, communicating, and decision-making.
It’s called “Ground Control,” a play on the Astros’ name. The Indians have a similar database called “DiamondView,” the Red Sox call theirs “Carmine,” and the for the Cardinals it’s labeled “Red Bird Dog.”
The Astros feel like their database might be the best-looking and most functional. More from Drellich:
Ground Control has an extraordinarily clean interface. There’s nothing intimidating about it for any experienced computer user.
Video of players can be downloaded on the spot, and most anything the baseball operations folks do goes through it – from looking up the history of a player in a foreign country to preparing scouting reports of the Yankees for this season’s opening day.
Projections and the like are updated after every game for which reliable statistics are available, including winter league games in other countries.
“Ground Control” was built by Astros senior technical architect Ryan Hallahan. Read the article here.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)