Mar 9, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
Goods news Sunday morning in Cardinals camp.
According to beat writer Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, outfielder Peter Bourjos is back in the starting lineup for Sunday’s Grapefruit League game against the Nationals after sitting out for seven days with tightness in his right hamstring.
Bourjos dealt with chronic leg problems during his final few years in Anaheim, so this was more than a minor concern for the St. Louis medical staff. If the 26-year-old speedster can avoid further setbacks, he should open the 2014 campaign as the Cardinals’ regular center fielder. Jon Jay, a left-handed hitter, also projects to get some starts in center.
Cardinals top hitting prospect Oscar Taveras could also work his way into the mix at some point.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 162
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (162)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)