Mar 9, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks took Trevor Bauer in the first round, third overall, in the 2011 draft. They sent him to the Indians in a three-team trade in December 2012. Manager Terry Francona sees why, even after Bauer has had back-to-back mediocre showings in limited Major League action, the D-Backs took him so early.
Bauer has made some significant mechanical adjustments, but in the early going in spring training, it is starting to pay dividends. Bauer has struck out seven and walked three in five innings thus far. Francona understands that Bauer may not be an ace when the bell sounds at the end of March, but hopes the right-hander will lead his staff eventually.
“You try to look at the big picture,” Francona said on Sunday “I think with everything, you try to make decisions not based out of emotion, but based on what’s best for our team. I think with a 23-year-old pitcher that the ceiling is very high, you have to step back sometimes and let him figure it out, certainly, with help.
“I think we’re going to see dividends this year at some point. It may not be April 1, but at some point this year I think we’ll see dividends, and once he gets here and figures it out, he’s got a chance to be a dominating pitcher. That’s the idea anyway.”
In 33 1/3 innings at the Major League level, Bauer has a 5.67 ERA with 29 walks and 28 strikeouts. Harnessing his control, obviously, will be a big factor in his success or failure in the big leagues.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (104)