Mar 9, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks took Trevor Bauer in the first round, third overall, in the 2011 draft. They sent him to the Indians in a three-team trade in December 2012. Manager Terry Francona sees why, even after Bauer has had back-to-back mediocre showings in limited Major League action, the D-Backs took him so early.
Bauer has made some significant mechanical adjustments, but in the early going in spring training, it is starting to pay dividends. Bauer has struck out seven and walked three in five innings thus far. Francona understands that Bauer may not be an ace when the bell sounds at the end of March, but hopes the right-hander will lead his staff eventually.
“You try to look at the big picture,” Francona said on Sunday “I think with everything, you try to make decisions not based out of emotion, but based on what’s best for our team. I think with a 23-year-old pitcher that the ceiling is very high, you have to step back sometimes and let him figure it out, certainly, with help.
“I think we’re going to see dividends this year at some point. It may not be April 1, but at some point this year I think we’ll see dividends, and once he gets here and figures it out, he’s got a chance to be a dominating pitcher. That’s the idea anyway.”
In 33 1/3 innings at the Major League level, Bauer has a 5.67 ERA with 29 walks and 28 strikeouts. Harnessing his control, obviously, will be a big factor in his success or failure in the big leagues.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 47
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 28
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 7
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)