Mar 9, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks took Trevor Bauer in the first round, third overall, in the 2011 draft. They sent him to the Indians in a three-team trade in December 2012. Manager Terry Francona sees why, even after Bauer has had back-to-back mediocre showings in limited Major League action, the D-Backs took him so early.
Bauer has made some significant mechanical adjustments, but in the early going in spring training, it is starting to pay dividends. Bauer has struck out seven and walked three in five innings thus far. Francona understands that Bauer may not be an ace when the bell sounds at the end of March, but hopes the right-hander will lead his staff eventually.
“You try to look at the big picture,” Francona said on Sunday “I think with everything, you try to make decisions not based out of emotion, but based on what’s best for our team. I think with a 23-year-old pitcher that the ceiling is very high, you have to step back sometimes and let him figure it out, certainly, with help.
“I think we’re going to see dividends this year at some point. It may not be April 1, but at some point this year I think we’ll see dividends, and once he gets here and figures it out, he’s got a chance to be a dominating pitcher. That’s the idea anyway.”
In 33 1/3 innings at the Major League level, Bauer has a 5.67 ERA with 29 walks and 28 strikeouts. Harnessing his control, obviously, will be a big factor in his success or failure in the big leagues.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 33
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)