Mar 9, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks took Trevor Bauer in the first round, third overall, in the 2011 draft. They sent him to the Indians in a three-team trade in December 2012. Manager Terry Francona sees why, even after Bauer has had back-to-back mediocre showings in limited Major League action, the D-Backs took him so early.
Bauer has made some significant mechanical adjustments, but in the early going in spring training, it is starting to pay dividends. Bauer has struck out seven and walked three in five innings thus far. Francona understands that Bauer may not be an ace when the bell sounds at the end of March, but hopes the right-hander will lead his staff eventually.
“You try to look at the big picture,” Francona said on Sunday “I think with everything, you try to make decisions not based out of emotion, but based on what’s best for our team. I think with a 23-year-old pitcher that the ceiling is very high, you have to step back sometimes and let him figure it out, certainly, with help.
“I think we’re going to see dividends this year at some point. It may not be April 1, but at some point this year I think we’ll see dividends, and once he gets here and figures it out, he’s got a chance to be a dominating pitcher. That’s the idea anyway.”
In 33 1/3 innings at the Major League level, Bauer has a 5.67 ERA with 29 walks and 28 strikeouts. Harnessing his control, obviously, will be a big factor in his success or failure in the big leagues.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 3
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 11
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (87)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (75)