White Sox, Mariners have discussed Dayan Viciedo trade

Mar 9, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT

dayan viciedo getty Getty Images

Bruce Levine of CBS Chicago has the inside word:

Although the White Sox are not shopping outfielder Dayan Viciedo, they are listening to other clubs about their interest in the Cuban power hitter. Several major league sources confirmed that the Sox and Mariners have had discussions on a deal that could center around Viciedo.

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe mentioned in his Sunday notes column that the White Sox have also been shopping Alejandro De Aza, so it’s pretty clear they’re trying to move an outfielder before Opening Day.

Viciedo slugged 25 home runs in 2012 and 14 last season, but he owns a weak .306 career on-base percentage and doesn’t have much defensive range in the outfield. It’s hard to see how he helps Seattle.

Viciedo, 24, was arbitration-eligible for the the first time this winter as a Super Two qualifier.

1. gonderfan - Mar 9, 2014 at 3:07 PM

I see three White Sox articles here this morning, and after several hours still no comments on any of them. Am I the only White Sox fan here??? … There are rumours that the White Sox are trading Juan Pizarro to the Yankees for John Blanchard. What do we all think about this one?

• spudchukar - Mar 9, 2014 at 4:08 PM

The President is a little busy these days.

• gonderfan - Mar 9, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Good to see we are not alone here…. Anyway, I guess maybe I’m living like the 1961 season just ended, but the way I see it, although Blanchard may have been just 8 short of the White Sox team record for homers in less than 250 at-bats last season, he’s not likely to do anything like that again. That’s about as likely as Maris coming close to his 61 again. Pizarro has more good years ahead. If we want a catcher from the Yankees, better to try to get Jesse Gonder. And I suspect we could do that by offering Cal McLish, and maybe throwing in Alan Brice.

2. scottychicago - Mar 9, 2014 at 4:06 PM

I’m a Sox fan. I usually leave the commenting to the Phillies and Blue Jay fans.

3. shawnuel - Mar 9, 2014 at 5:04 PM

As a Seattle fan, I hope this does not happen. Unless it is a C prospect going over to Chicago. I guess the potential in his bat is still there (have been waiting a long while) but isn’t he a brutal fielder and isn’t that what the Mariners currently have in the outfield?

4. seahawks55 - Mar 9, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Is Jack Z just Bill Bavasi in disguise?

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3736)