Mar 10, 2014, 8:52 AM EDT
David Laurila of FanGraphs has a fascinating interview with a former pitcher — now retired — about his PED use. It’s not clear whether this guy was a major leaguer, but his comments about PED use — extremely detailed comments about what they did for him and how they made him feel — refer to his time in the minors.
He took steroids and amphetamines of various kinds. It’s worth noting that he felt significant effects from all of them, though the psychological effects come off stronger with the steroids and the physical effects come off stronger with the greenies. Oh, and the Adderall:
“The next step would be to get an Adderall or another ADD medication. Legal amphetamine prescriptions are how I circumvented drug testing. Now I had a “medical issue” which required Adderall. When I stood on the mound while on Adderall, everything faded away except for the catcher’s mitt. No crowd noise, no distractions. It was almost like being in the Matrix. Although you were sped up, everything slowed down.
A reminder that a far greater percentage of players in Major League Baseball have therapeutic use exemptions for ADD medicine than the population at large. People tend not to be critical of that, but I suspect the quotes around “medical issue” here apply to a great many of them.
Beyond that, a really good insight into PED use by players. I wish, rather than making a show of naming names and creating the perp-walk that was the Mitchell Report, baseball had actually tried to investigate PED use like this by talking to players anonymously and trying to explain and understand the reasons and habits behind PED-cheating as a means of getting at the problem and, for a time anyway, declaring the problem as one in the past.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 5
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 8
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 7
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)