Mar 10, 2014, 8:52 AM EDT
David Laurila of FanGraphs has a fascinating interview with a former pitcher — now retired — about his PED use. It’s not clear whether this guy was a major leaguer, but his comments about PED use — extremely detailed comments about what they did for him and how they made him feel — refer to his time in the minors.
He took steroids and amphetamines of various kinds. It’s worth noting that he felt significant effects from all of them, though the psychological effects come off stronger with the steroids and the physical effects come off stronger with the greenies. Oh, and the Adderall:
“The next step would be to get an Adderall or another ADD medication. Legal amphetamine prescriptions are how I circumvented drug testing. Now I had a “medical issue” which required Adderall. When I stood on the mound while on Adderall, everything faded away except for the catcher’s mitt. No crowd noise, no distractions. It was almost like being in the Matrix. Although you were sped up, everything slowed down.
A reminder that a far greater percentage of players in Major League Baseball have therapeutic use exemptions for ADD medicine than the population at large. People tend not to be critical of that, but I suspect the quotes around “medical issue” here apply to a great many of them.
Beyond that, a really good insight into PED use by players. I wish, rather than making a show of naming names and creating the perp-walk that was the Mitchell Report, baseball had actually tried to investigate PED use like this by talking to players anonymously and trying to explain and understand the reasons and habits behind PED-cheating as a means of getting at the problem and, for a time anyway, declaring the problem as one in the past.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)