Mar 10, 2014, 8:52 AM EDT
David Laurila of FanGraphs has a fascinating interview with a former pitcher — now retired — about his PED use. It’s not clear whether this guy was a major leaguer, but his comments about PED use — extremely detailed comments about what they did for him and how they made him feel — refer to his time in the minors.
He took steroids and amphetamines of various kinds. It’s worth noting that he felt significant effects from all of them, though the psychological effects come off stronger with the steroids and the physical effects come off stronger with the greenies. Oh, and the Adderall:
“The next step would be to get an Adderall or another ADD medication. Legal amphetamine prescriptions are how I circumvented drug testing. Now I had a “medical issue” which required Adderall. When I stood on the mound while on Adderall, everything faded away except for the catcher’s mitt. No crowd noise, no distractions. It was almost like being in the Matrix. Although you were sped up, everything slowed down.
A reminder that a far greater percentage of players in Major League Baseball have therapeutic use exemptions for ADD medicine than the population at large. People tend not to be critical of that, but I suspect the quotes around “medical issue” here apply to a great many of them.
Beyond that, a really good insight into PED use by players. I wish, rather than making a show of naming names and creating the perp-walk that was the Mitchell Report, baseball had actually tried to investigate PED use like this by talking to players anonymously and trying to explain and understand the reasons and habits behind PED-cheating as a means of getting at the problem and, for a time anyway, declaring the problem as one in the past.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 0
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 9
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 9
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 77
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)