Mar 10, 2014, 8:52 AM EDT
David Laurila of FanGraphs has a fascinating interview with a former pitcher — now retired — about his PED use. It’s not clear whether this guy was a major leaguer, but his comments about PED use — extremely detailed comments about what they did for him and how they made him feel — refer to his time in the minors.
He took steroids and amphetamines of various kinds. It’s worth noting that he felt significant effects from all of them, though the psychological effects come off stronger with the steroids and the physical effects come off stronger with the greenies. Oh, and the Adderall:
“The next step would be to get an Adderall or another ADD medication. Legal amphetamine prescriptions are how I circumvented drug testing. Now I had a “medical issue” which required Adderall. When I stood on the mound while on Adderall, everything faded away except for the catcher’s mitt. No crowd noise, no distractions. It was almost like being in the Matrix. Although you were sped up, everything slowed down.
A reminder that a far greater percentage of players in Major League Baseball have therapeutic use exemptions for ADD medicine than the population at large. People tend not to be critical of that, but I suspect the quotes around “medical issue” here apply to a great many of them.
Beyond that, a really good insight into PED use by players. I wish, rather than making a show of naming names and creating the perp-walk that was the Mitchell Report, baseball had actually tried to investigate PED use like this by talking to players anonymously and trying to explain and understand the reasons and habits behind PED-cheating as a means of getting at the problem and, for a time anyway, declaring the problem as one in the past.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 23
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 38
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)