Mar 10, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
George A. King III of the New York Post heard last month that the Yankees might look to deal a catcher before they head back north for Opening Day.
That catcher could be Francisco Cervelli.
According to Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish, the 28-year-old Cervelli is drawing “lots of trade interest” from front offices around the league. Cotillo says the White Sox are “among many teams” that have been monitoring Cervelli this spring in Yankees camp.
Cervelli is out of minor league options and the Bombers seem comfortable going with 25-year-old former Top 100 prospect Austin Romine as the backup to new starting catcher Brian McCann. So they might as well deal from a surplus and attempt to address an area of need (key word: attempt).
Cervelli is a .271/.343/.367 career hitter in 623 major league plate appearances.
He probably won’t fetch a high-impact return.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 46
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 49
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 64
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)