Mar 11, 2014, 8:31 PM EDT
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez confirmed on Tuesday that Brandon Beachy will not make his next scheduled Grapefruit League start. Beachy exited Monday’s start against the Phillies after grueling through two innings during which he was burdened by tightness around his right elbow and biceps muscle.
Beachy also topped out at just 87 mph with his fastball during Monday’s start, but the Braves are hoping that standard post-surgery inflammation is to blame for all of this. Beachy had Tommy John elbow surgery in 2012 and then needed a cleanup procedure last September.
Kris Medlen suffered a forearm injury on Sunday afternoon and Mike Minor is battling shoulder soreness, so Atlanta’s front office is reeling. The Braves have recently been linked to free agent starter Ervin Santana.
Beachy, 27, owns an outstanding 3.23 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, and 9.2 K/9 in 46 career major league starts.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)