Mar 11, 2014, 8:31 PM EDT
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez confirmed on Tuesday that Brandon Beachy will not make his next scheduled Grapefruit League start. Beachy exited Monday’s start against the Phillies after grueling through two innings during which he was burdened by tightness around his right elbow and biceps muscle.
Beachy also topped out at just 87 mph with his fastball during Monday’s start, but the Braves are hoping that standard post-surgery inflammation is to blame for all of this. Beachy had Tommy John elbow surgery in 2012 and then needed a cleanup procedure last September.
Kris Medlen suffered a forearm injury on Sunday afternoon and Mike Minor is battling shoulder soreness, so Atlanta’s front office is reeling. The Braves have recently been linked to free agent starter Ervin Santana.
Beachy, 27, owns an outstanding 3.23 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, and 9.2 K/9 in 46 career major league starts.
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 1
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 5
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 31
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)