Mar 11, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Signed largely for his career-long durability, 37-year-old Bronson Arroyo has been sidelined with a bulging disk in his back for almost all of Diamondbacks camp and the injury hasn’t shown much improvement.
He’s able to play catch, but Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that Arroyo was sore and stiff after doing so Monday and could be running out of time to be ready for Opening Day.
And as someone not used to missing time with injuries, Arroyo is understandable frustrated:
It’s driving me nuts today to tell you the truth. Everybody around here is like no hurry, no hurry, but I’ve got a time clock in my head, and to me, it’s like a time bomb going off if I don’t get this thing right.
Unfortunately for Arroyo and the Diamondbacks sometimes being 37 years old trumps being durable for the previous 36 years.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- The Lester trade is a win-win 97
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 153
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (156)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)