Bronson Arroyo says back injury “is driving me nuts”

Mar 11, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT

bronson arroyo getty Getty Images

Signed largely for his career-long durability, 37-year-old Bronson Arroyo has been sidelined with a bulging disk in his back for almost all of Diamondbacks camp and the injury hasn’t shown much improvement.

He’s able to play catch, but Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that Arroyo was sore and stiff after doing so Monday and could be running out of time to be ready for Opening Day.

And as someone not used to missing time with injuries, Arroyo is understandable frustrated:

It’s driving me nuts today to tell you the truth. Everybody around here is like no hurry, no hurry, but I’ve got a time clock in my head, and to me, it’s like a time bomb going off if I don’t get this thing right.

Unfortunately for Arroyo and the Diamondbacks sometimes being 37 years old trumps being durable for the previous 36 years.

1. hildezero - Mar 11, 2014 at 10:19 AM

It’s better off for Arroyo to not be in a hurry.

2. karlkolchak - Mar 11, 2014 at 10:37 AM

“being 37 years old trumps being durable for the previous 36 years.”

Wow–so Arroyo must have been the original infant prodigy!

3. sophiethegreatdane - Mar 11, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I don’t know anything about bulging disks, but isn’t that something that takes a little longer than a week to heal? Especially when you’re trying to do something as stressful on the spine as pitching?

• dowhatifeellike - Mar 11, 2014 at 11:26 AM

I’m surprised they let him throw at all. He needs to take 2 weeks off, get some physical therapy and a good anti-inflammatory regimen, then reevaluate. Bulging discs are not really something you can just work through.

4. culturecesspool - Mar 11, 2014 at 10:43 AM

How did he pass to Orioles physical before taking this deal with Arizona?

5. bfunk1978 - Mar 11, 2014 at 11:31 AM

The pirate said the same thing about the steering wheel in his pants.

• jm91rs - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Took me a second, but then I laughed out loud when I remembered that one.

6. moogro - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Snake-bitten!

7. unclemosesgreen - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Durability,
    Inevitability,
    Cornrows full of grit

8. zdravit - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Arroyo trying to steal Bradley’s rotation spot is driving me nuts. What a disaster.

9. hohofosho - Mar 14, 2014 at 9:38 PM

It’s pretty apparent that league will never be productive in dodger blue..they got the money just cut him and make a little more room for the young guys like withrow and dominguez

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2800)