Mar 11, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
This particular free agent saga is almost complete.
According to beat writer Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun, right-handed starter Ervin Santana is “likely to make a decision on his destination within the next day or two” because he wants to get into a camp as soon as possible to get properly tuned up for the beginning of the 2014 regular season.
The Orioles and Blue Jays have both made offers to the 31-year-old Santana, but the Braves now seem to be emerging as a darkhorse with over half of their projected starting rotation battling physical issues.
Santana opened this offseason with a reported contract demand of more than $100 million, but draft pick compensation has destroyed his market and he may wind up having to settle for a one-year contract.
Santana posted a 3.24 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, and 161 strikeouts in 211 innings last year for the Royals.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 41
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (86)