Mar 11, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
This particular free agent saga is almost complete.
According to beat writer Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun, right-handed starter Ervin Santana is “likely to make a decision on his destination within the next day or two” because he wants to get into a camp as soon as possible to get properly tuned up for the beginning of the 2014 regular season.
The Orioles and Blue Jays have both made offers to the 31-year-old Santana, but the Braves now seem to be emerging as a darkhorse with over half of their projected starting rotation battling physical issues.
Santana opened this offseason with a reported contract demand of more than $100 million, but draft pick compensation has destroyed his market and he may wind up having to settle for a one-year contract.
Santana posted a 3.24 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, and 161 strikeouts in 211 innings last year for the Royals.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 0
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 28
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 105
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (104)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)