Ervin Santana likely to sign “within the next day or two”

Mar 11, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT

ervin santana getty Getty Images

This particular free agent saga is almost complete.

According to beat writer Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun, right-handed starter Ervin Santana is “likely to make a decision on his destination within the next day or two” because he wants to get into a camp as soon as possible to get properly tuned up for the beginning of the 2014 regular season.

The Orioles and Blue Jays have both made offers to the 31-year-old Santana, but the Braves now seem to be emerging as a darkhorse with over half of their projected starting rotation battling physical issues.

Santana opened this offseason with a reported contract demand of more than $100 million, but draft pick compensation has destroyed his market and he may wind up having to settle for a one-year contract.

Santana posted a 3.24 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, and 161 strikeouts in 211 innings last year for the Royals.

1. proudlycanadian - Mar 11, 2014 at 6:21 PM

The saga of Ervin is getting rather stale.

• dirtyharry1971 - Mar 12, 2014 at 6:58 AM

It won’t be if he signs with the bluejays, problem is the jays are sooo cheap they probably won’t go more then 14mil for 1 year but if they were not on MLB welfare you know they would go all out for this guy. But hey we can at least hope the jays do indeed get him

• proudlycanadian - Mar 12, 2014 at 7:09 AM

Hi Harry. I have a question for you. When did Sabathia become a soft tossing lefty? His “fastball” is toping out at 88MPH. The average fastball from Sabathis is mid 80’s. I wish him luck.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 12, 2014 at 7:30 AM

According to Jeff Blair of the Globe and Mail, former Santana team mate, Macir Izturis phoned Santana twice yesterday morning and Santana did not pick up the phone. That can be read as an indication that Santana is unlikely to be signing with Toronto. I would not be upset if he signs elsewhere.

2. scatterbrian - Mar 11, 2014 at 6:32 PM

I immediately thought of Ervin Santana once the Kris Medlan story broke.

• wpjohnson - Mar 11, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Unfortunately, so did the Braves. Santana is a dud.

3. unclemosesgreen - Mar 11, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Draft compensation
    Thrusts it’s sabot into this
    Negotiation

• happytwinsfan - Mar 11, 2014 at 8:09 PM

not bad, but starting to reach a little

• NatsLady - Mar 11, 2014 at 8:10 PM

its

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 11, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Damn iPhone!!

• happytwinsfan - Mar 11, 2014 at 8:12 PM

you did make me google “sabot”

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 11, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Definitely a bit of a stretch – but one with a little history curveball thrown in. :-)

4. tuberippin - Mar 11, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Time to turn our attentions back to Stephen Drew and Kendrys Morales…

5. pkers - Mar 11, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I’m confused by the “over half of their projected starting rotation” method of accounting. What would “half” of their starting rotation be? They aren’t going with a 4 man or a 6 man rotation, are they? And they can’t split Brandon Beachy in half, can they?

• Drew Silva - Mar 11, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Guess I could have said it better. Was counting Medlen, Beachy, Minor.

• pkers - Mar 11, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Hmm…I need to use the font more often. Or the font. Sorry if I gave you pause, Drew. Just being a silly, stupid nitpicker. :)

• pkers - Mar 11, 2014 at 9:18 PM

I meant to say the “silly” font, and the “stupid nitpicker” font. Darn you, lack of edit function!

• jjschiller - Mar 11, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Pedant.

• paperlions - Mar 11, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Since you asked….half of 5 is 2.5; 3 guys are hurt. 3 > 2.5; therefore, more than half.

6. brownsbravescanes - Mar 11, 2014 at 8:45 PM

I doubt he signs here. My guess is Toronto.

7. rockthered1286 - Mar 11, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Theory- IF ES signs with Baltimore, the O’s will approach Hotlanta about trading them either Chunk Norris or Chen.

8. kcrobert10 - Mar 11, 2014 at 10:48 PM

He and David glass are going to shock the world and resign him to be the royals ace when shields walks for his 100 million next yr. World series baby world series.

9. jkaflagg - Mar 12, 2014 at 1:33 AM

The injuries in Atlanta could be Santana’a salvation…..I was looking forward to hearing how he’d always dreamed of playing for lower-level teams like Baltimore or Toronto with hitter’s parks in the slugging AL East, especially since the long ball has plagued him throughout his career….It would be refreshing if he simply said “I had to play somewhere and I just took the most money I could get”……

10. mikhelb - Mar 12, 2014 at 2:01 AM

I wonder how teams will react next season when players on the verge of being free agents demand being traded to avoid the ‘risk’ of receiving a qualifying offer from their teams and no longer attached to compensations because they can’t receive a QO from a team with wich they played for less than a full season.

Team owners I guess will be reluctant to trade them because a player’s value diminishes when he approaches free agency (last year of contract) and the receiving team can no longer receive compensation if he hits free agency. This is not Japan so a player’s desire is viewed as nothing more than a whim instead of trying to respect his petition.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4930)