Mar 11, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
The Indians announced Tuesday, via Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, that right-hander Justin Masterson will start for the club on Opening Day against the Athletics. That game is scheduled for Monday, March 31 at Oakland’s O.co Coliseum.
Masterson registered an impressive 3.45 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, and 195 strikeouts across 193 innings last season for the Indians. The 28-year-old is in his final year of salary arbitration and has reportedly been engaging in long-term contract negotiations with Cleveland’s front office this spring in camp.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)