Mar 11, 2014, 4:32 PM EDT
I saw Mark Prior at the Winter Meetings in Orlando. Indeed, he and I were staying on the same floor, so I saw him a lot. Walking up and down the hallway pretty frequently, always with a cell phone to his ear and a notebook in his hand. At various points I saw him in the little coffee shop down the hall, again, always on the phone, always writing or flipping through the notebook.
Some folks, especially folks who may be recognized and don’t want to be, do that in order to avoid people. If it’s not that, it’s because you’re working. Pretty hard, and pretty constantly. Mark Prior, it seems falls into the latter camp. He had just started his job in the Padres front office that week and, as Corey Brock of MLB.com reports, he was then and continues now to immerse himself in the job.
It’s a great read in that it tells you the difference between someone who is actually looking at the front office as a career vs. a former player who is just looking for a soft landing while he tries to figure out the second act of his life. It’s fascinating to see someone of Prior’s former stature making a real go of it like this.
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 0
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 7
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 33
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 40
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 182
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (182)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)