Mar 11, 2014, 4:32 PM EST
I saw Mark Prior at the Winter Meetings in Orlando. Indeed, he and I were staying on the same floor, so I saw him a lot. Walking up and down the hallway pretty frequently, always with a cell phone to his ear and a notebook in his hand. At various points I saw him in the little coffee shop down the hall, again, always on the phone, always writing or flipping through the notebook.
Some folks, especially folks who may be recognized and don’t want to be, do that in order to avoid people. If it’s not that, it’s because you’re working. Pretty hard, and pretty constantly. Mark Prior, it seems falls into the latter camp. He had just started his job in the Padres front office that week and, as Corey Brock of MLB.com reports, he was then and continues now to immerse himself in the job.
It’s a great read in that it tells you the difference between someone who is actually looking at the front office as a career vs. a former player who is just looking for a soft landing while he tries to figure out the second act of his life. It’s fascinating to see someone of Prior’s former stature making a real go of it like this.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 43
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 84
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)