Mar 11, 2014, 4:32 PM EST
I saw Mark Prior at the Winter Meetings in Orlando. Indeed, he and I were staying on the same floor, so I saw him a lot. Walking up and down the hallway pretty frequently, always with a cell phone to his ear and a notebook in his hand. At various points I saw him in the little coffee shop down the hall, again, always on the phone, always writing or flipping through the notebook.
Some folks, especially folks who may be recognized and don’t want to be, do that in order to avoid people. If it’s not that, it’s because you’re working. Pretty hard, and pretty constantly. Mark Prior, it seems falls into the latter camp. He had just started his job in the Padres front office that week and, as Corey Brock of MLB.com reports, he was then and continues now to immerse himself in the job.
It’s a great read in that it tells you the difference between someone who is actually looking at the front office as a career vs. a former player who is just looking for a soft landing while he tries to figure out the second act of his life. It’s fascinating to see someone of Prior’s former stature making a real go of it like this.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)