Mar 11, 2014, 4:32 PM EDT
I saw Mark Prior at the Winter Meetings in Orlando. Indeed, he and I were staying on the same floor, so I saw him a lot. Walking up and down the hallway pretty frequently, always with a cell phone to his ear and a notebook in his hand. At various points I saw him in the little coffee shop down the hall, again, always on the phone, always writing or flipping through the notebook.
Some folks, especially folks who may be recognized and don’t want to be, do that in order to avoid people. If it’s not that, it’s because you’re working. Pretty hard, and pretty constantly. Mark Prior, it seems falls into the latter camp. He had just started his job in the Padres front office that week and, as Corey Brock of MLB.com reports, he was then and continues now to immerse himself in the job.
It’s a great read in that it tells you the difference between someone who is actually looking at the front office as a career vs. a former player who is just looking for a soft landing while he tries to figure out the second act of his life. It’s fascinating to see someone of Prior’s former stature making a real go of it like this.
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 0
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 17
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 35
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 18
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)