Kris Medlen going for second opinion after MRI shows ligament damage

Mar 11, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT

kris medlen getty Getty Images

Braves right-hander Kris Medlen will seek a second opinion after an MRI exam on his sore elbow showed “some involvement of the ligament.” In other words: Not good.

Medlen exited Sunday’s game after grabbing his elbow following one pitch and then short-hopping his next pitch to the plate, making his way into the Braves’ dugout. It looked ugly at the time, especially considering Medlen has already come back from one Tommy John elbow surgery, but the initial diagnosis was a forearm strain.

Brandon Beachy is also hurting, leading to some speculation that the Braves could make a late run at free agent Ervin Santana to help boost their banged-up starting rotation. For now, though, the Braves are saying publicly that they hope Beachy’s injury isn’t serious. And they’ll hold their breath holding for some not-horrible news on Medlen.

1. chc4 - Mar 11, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Boom goes the dynamite.

2. El Bravo - Mar 11, 2014 at 11:18 AM

:'(

3. realgone2 - Mar 11, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Braves 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn_iz8z2AGw

4. Pat Richardson - Mar 11, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Somebody maybe ask Freddy Garcia if it’s time to panic yet, or if we should continue to just make pitch.

5. uyf1950 - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:05 PM

As Braves injuries to their pitching staff continue to pile up it beginning to look like Ervin Santana may yet receive that elusive 4 year $50MM deal.

• Pat Richardson - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:10 PM

I wonder if a 1 year, 15-16M deal would land him. Lose a draft pick this year, pick one up next year assuming he pitches halfway decent and signs elsewhere next off-season.

• uyf1950 - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I think it probably would unless some team as yet to be determined does what to this point has been the unthinkable and offer Santana a 4 year deal close to $50MM.

• lukedunphysscienceproject - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I believe I read that Santana prefers a one-year deal. He’s been offered multiple years by the Orioles (?) and turned it down. 15-16M and a chance to pitch in the NL could get it done.

• emdash01 - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Atlanta’s ownership would have to up the payroll a fair bit for that to happen – Cot’s has them at ~$92 million for 19 players. Add in the major league minimum for another 5 or 6 and that takes them to about $95, and the beat writers for the team have said they’ve been told the ceiling is $100 million. Unless they finally realize the dream of finding someone to take Uggla and his salary, I’d imagine they’re more likely to try to trade for someone fringey.

6. APBA Guy - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:23 PM

I saw Medlen come off the mound as it occurred on MLB network. It looked like he knew exactly what had happened, having been through this once before in 2010. He’s doing his due diligence now, getting a second opinion. It did not look good then, it does not sound good now.

7. unclemosesgreen - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Second opinions
    abound – second verse
    Usually same as first

8. evansox - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Just goes to show there’s no such thing as “too much pitching.”

9. sc101071 - Mar 11, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Beat writer keeps saying $100M, but we also know that revenue increased $30+M last year. There may be wiggle room. Esp if new owners want team to be competitive leading into the new stadium.

10. Reflex - Mar 11, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Medlen and Beachy are both Inverted W pitchers. This was inevitable, unfortunately.

• joehahntpt - Mar 11, 2014 at 9:10 PM

I don’t know why this has been downvoted. Try to throw a baseball with the same arm action and tell me that it feels natural and adds no undue stress to your elbow.

• Reflex - Mar 12, 2014 at 2:14 PM

To be fair, the W has not been conclusively studied. Its all correlation at the moment. But there is a whole hell of a lot of correlation at this point and I do believe its fair to point it out. I’ve used it extensively in my fantasy league now to pump and dump pitchers, catch them after the first TJ when they will look pretty damn lights out for a couple years, then trade them before the inevitable second breakdown.

I do believe there is something to it. Whether the reasons are what is being claimed, or its something else I can’t say. But the more extreme the W in the motion the faster the pitcher seems to break down.

And like you said, try that motion, I can’t even get my elbows into that position. I can’t imagine the stress that puts on the elbows and shoulders to do that 150 times in a start (including warmups).

11. tuberippin - Mar 11, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Any word on Beachy’s current status? Things have taken a turn for the worse in Atlanta very quickly.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win