Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him

Mar 11, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Ryan Braun Getty Images

Say what you want about Ryan Braun but now, as opposed to in the past, he is realistic. He talks to Bob Nightengale of USA Today about what it’ll be like to be Public Enemy Number One when he goes on the road this year:

“I’m sure it will be a bit adventuresome at times this year, but if anything, it’s probably better now. Normally, you go to Philly and Chicago, and they’re talking about your mom, your sister, your girlfriend, whatever. So, now, it will be just about me.”

I guess that’s the best lemonade one can make out of the lemons he willingly sucked on. And the ego is pretty remarkable too:

“If I perform like I’ve always done, I’ll be one of the best players in this game. I don’t need any added motivation of drama at work.

“I’ll just let my work speak for itself, as every artist should.”

Artist. Oh man.

It’s interesting to watch Braun V.2. He’s taking a tack we’ve not seen much of with people who have stepped in it big time in the past. It’s certainly not a full heel-turn (which would be AWESOME) because he has played the contrition game at home with Brewers fans. But the idea that he legitimately doesn’t seem to care about what people outside of Milwaukee will say and think about him — and that, unlike any other scandal-laden player, he isn’t playing humble — is kind of fun for our entertainment purposes.

1. fearthehoody - Mar 11, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Cheater!!

2. drewsylvania - Mar 11, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Your body of work as a human being indicates that you are an *** hole, Ryan. GFY

3. anxovies - Mar 12, 2014 at 12:55 AM

I wonder if he painted the centaur picture for Arod?

4. bravestomahawkchamp - Mar 12, 2014 at 5:46 AM

I’ve said it before . Kiss my butt roid-o. Cheating punk.

5. Peter L. ODell - Mar 12, 2014 at 7:16 PM

con artist

6. cktailgrl - Mar 27, 2014 at 2:46 PM

He screwed up. He lied. He got caught. He went to baseball jail. He paid his dues and now it’s back to baseball. people here seem to be speaking as if they have never done the wrong thing and then lied about it. That’s just human nature. Play ball!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3910)