Mar 11, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
I love when old stories like this surface.
A few years ago Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre and manager Ron Washington were tossed out of a spring training game by an umpire and then … well, I’ll let Stefan Stevenson of the Forth Worth Star Telegram take it from here:
However, after the ejection Washington never left the dugout as required because the ballpark at Peoria Sports Complex isn’t exactly flush with great places for a manager to hang out if ejected. MLB fined him double — $200 — for not leaving the dugout.
Washington responded by filling a box with $200 in pennies and mailing it to Bob Watson, MLB vice president in charge of discipline. Cost to mail it to New York: About $45.
Watson called after receiving the box. Watson: “And you just had $200 in pennies hanging around? Washington: “Yes. Bob, I didn’t have my checkbook. I wasn’t trying to be funny. Now go to the bank and put that in the [change] machine and get your $200.”
There’s actually a website called PayWithPennies.com that’s devoted to “culture jamming involving large payments in pennies to organizations that are difficult to deal with.”
Ron Washington: Culture Jammer.
Also, apparently you can be arrested for trying to pay for something with a huge amount of pennies, although it’s mostly about dumping them on a counter or otherwise making things annoying for the person being paid. Washington sent them in a nice box and even paid $45 extra to get it to MLB, so he’s probably in the clear there.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 9
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 23
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 14
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)