Marco Scutaro still dealing with back discomfort

Mar 12, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

marco scutaro getty Getty Images

Giants second baseman Marco Scutaro was able to take batting practice on the field Wednesday in camp, but it was his first time doing so this spring and he remains questionable for the beginning of the 2014 regular season because of back problems that have become a chronic source of discomfort.

Scutaro told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that he “played through worse last year,” but he has yet to appear in a Cactus League game and there’s been no indication that his debut will happen soon.

Tony Abreu, Joaquin Arias, and Ehire Adrianza are among the Giants’ unexciting internal options to handle second base in Scutaro’s potential early-season absence.

Scutaro, 38, signed a three-year, $20 million contract with San Francisco in December 2012 — about a month after helping the Giants to a World Series title. He will hobble his way into the second year of that deal.

1. dondada10 - Mar 12, 2014 at 10:15 PM

I blew my back out over two years ago and developed bad Sciatica. Went to a M.D. and did and took all that was prescribed. I felt better, but there was always discomfort.

Starting doing yoga and acupuncture and now I’m 100%.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 12, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Well, if someone who isn’t a world class athlete can overcome sciatica and return to sitting in a desk chair without any discomfort I see no reason that this path of treatment wouldn’t work for a professional baseball player.

• dondada10 - Mar 12, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Back pain is back pain. And it doesn’t sound as if his current regimen is getting him back on the field any time soon.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 12, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Sorry man. I was just being a dick for my own amusement.

While I am sure that the professional organization and all of their well trained medical staff are doing their best, if they haven’t explored stretching and yoga I agree that it’s a route they really should go. At the very least it won’t hurt. And you’re right about doctors usually being more interesting in curing symptoms and not problems (which is what I think you’re alluding to)

Unless he is terrible at yoga and hurts himself worse.

• Reflex - Mar 13, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Yoga in this context is basically just stretching. Acupuncture is placebo effect. The Yoga likely had the most to do with the recovery, but presumably a physical therapist would know the specific movements that would help rather than going through the whole rigmarole.

2. tfbuckfutter - Mar 12, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Am I the only one who frequently says “I had no idea that guy was still playing” about a lot of Giants players over the last few years?

• dcarroll73 - Mar 13, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Hey, Marichal was pretty good last year; he’s still the Dandy.

• mpzz - Mar 15, 2014 at 2:23 AM

Yeah, winning two world series is not a good enough reason to have anyone over the age of 25 on the team.

3. mstrrey - Mar 13, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I have to say 2nd base has been weak since Robbie Thompson. Maybe they can bring in Omar Vizquel. He is just as old with no bad back.

• mpzz - Mar 15, 2014 at 2:22 AM

Yeah, Scutaro was weak in batting .360 in the regular season in ’12 after coming over from the Rockies, as well as MVP in the playoffs, and then only dropped below .300 last year at the very end. Before that Freddy Sanchez was a former batting champ who only hit a measly .292 in 2010 besides being a vital cog on that World Series-winning team. Real weak.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey