Pete Rose is hitting the church circuit

Mar 12, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT

pete rose tall getty Getty Images

I sorta came to like casino/memorabilia shop Pete Rose. Church Pete Rose is going to take some getting used to:

Pete Rose, Major League Baseball’s all-time career hit leader, will return to Philadelphia and appear at Christ’s Church of the Valley on Sunday, March 30, 2014. Rose will appear live and be interviewed by Senior Pastor, Brian Jones during each service at 9:00, 10:15 and 11:30 AM.

The linked announcement features the pastor opining that he “truly believe[s] his debt has been paid and should be reinstated.” Which is all well and good, but if I were him I’d need more in the way of reassurances.

Put Rose in charge of Bingo Night for a month. If everything is on the up-and-up, Selig will take a meeting. Cool?

1. chacochicken - Mar 12, 2014 at 5:43 PM

I say unto you, yea verily, that it is easier Barry Bonds to enter the Hall of Fame than for Pete Rose to be reinstated to Major League Baseball. And there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

2. Caught Looking - Mar 12, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Is he going to church to ask for forgiveness?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 12, 2014 at 6:14 PM

No, why do you ask?

• bigharold - Mar 13, 2014 at 3:01 AM

Clearly you don’t know Pete Rose.

3. infieldhit - Mar 12, 2014 at 6:00 PM

That hat just makes me think “Mambo No. 4192″

4. js20011041 - Mar 12, 2014 at 6:10 PM

He just wants to finally be the honest one in the room.

5. djandujar - Mar 12, 2014 at 6:44 PM

What a sellout!
    His hard-nosed all-time-hits-leader on-field rep certainly does not bother me. His betting on baseball (and lying) didn’t really upset me either. Selling his memorabilia, dating woman young enough to be his granddaughter and other such “newsworthy” actions are really his own business.
    But to be involved with CHURCHES? Now I can safely say I have no respect for the man as an off-the-field entity.

6. tfbuckfutter - Mar 12, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I like when scumbags hide behind religion. Even if he is religious, it seems as though going to church is making people think they are “good” regardless of their other actions, leading to them behaving like total dirtbags.

I found this story funny. He wasn’t trying to solicit a prostitute to give him a hummer while his child watched cartoons. He was just praying for her. Because he’s very very religious, ya see.

7. perryt200 - Mar 12, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Hopefully the ‘Higher Power’ still keeps him banned

8. musketmaniac - Mar 12, 2014 at 7:15 PM

God does not watch baseball

• happytwinsfan - Mar 12, 2014 at 7:48 PM

he may have given up on the cubs, but i wouldn’t go that far.

9. mudhead123 - Mar 12, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Craig is a bitch…. Just like feesh man

• Old Gator - Mar 13, 2014 at 1:38 AM

In the few weeks since you infected this blog, you still have yet to say anything useful or informative.

• bigharold - Mar 13, 2014 at 3:05 AM

mudhead123,

Dude if that’s your point of view why bother?

Either state your opinion and back it up with logic, reason or at least a bit of hyperbole or stop wasting yours and everybody else’s time.

10. ggallin4evr - Mar 12, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Keep this bum banned. What a transparent fraud.

11. johnnycantread - Mar 12, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Rose can go to church, but he hasn’t a prayer of getting elected to the HOF.

12. historiophiliac - Mar 12, 2014 at 7:48 PM

This pastor is seriously confused about his scope of authority. Also, apparently, he doesn’t know the proper way to send messages to Bud Selig is via the US Postal Service. I hope, if Rev. Jones is a season ticket holder that when he goes to renew, the team gives him an obstructed view — since he appreciates imperfection so much.

13. mikhelb - Mar 12, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Brian Jones!!!!!! FTW!!!!

14. chucknorrissinspiration - Mar 12, 2014 at 8:05 PM

All you haters can hate on. I’m no Pete rose fan but he belongs in the baseball hall of fame because he played baseball at a hall of fame level for a long time.

• Reflex - Mar 12, 2014 at 8:17 PM

If we can hold the home run king out of the HOF for abuse of PEDs, something that compromised himself but did not compromise the game of baseball, then we certainly should hold a guy who compromised the integrity of the game out. Rose had many great accomplishments, but his actions were just as terrible as those of the Black Sox and while his accomplishments should be enshrined, Rose the player should not be.

• chucknorrissinspiration - Mar 12, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Dude, I’m sorry I passed out while somebody was trying to educate me on ethics. The home run king should be in there as well. So should the entire handful of guys being kept out due to steroids or supposed steroids. I’ve never done steroids and I’ve never bet on baseball while being a ball player and yadayadayada. But in my opinion the hall of fame has no credibility to ME until it puts them in. There have been many PED guys and gamblers that I’m sure didn’t get caught and some of them are most likely in. With that being said I also have no credibility for any hall of gamer that played before integration as well. So half the current HOF has an asterisk if you ask me.

• Reflex - Mar 12, 2014 at 8:38 PM

I’m not entirely in disagreement with you. PEDs are overblown although I don’t shed tears for the proven PED users being held out either(the ones who are only ‘suspected’ by sportswriters should NOT be held out under any circumstances short of hard evidence).

But I do think those who compromised the integrity of the game itself, which is what Rose and the Black Sox did, should not be in the HoF. Their accomplishments should be of course, but the player themselves should not be enshrined.

• chucknorrissinspiration - Mar 12, 2014 at 8:51 PM

I don’t know man, John Cusack should get pardoned at least.

15. nottinghamforest13 - Mar 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM

In this day & age, that any person actually views religion as more than mythology truly boggles the mind.

• js20011041 - Mar 12, 2014 at 9:21 PM

It’s not really that surprising, I suppose. It’s a combination of indoctrination from a young age and in many cases immense family and social pressure. The good news is that it’s dying. Religion probably won’t ever be completely gone and it certainly won’t be marginalized in my lifetime, but it’s dying. We’re making progress and that’s a good thing.

• jm91rs - Mar 12, 2014 at 11:34 PM

“the good news is that it’s dying”? Ha, sorry to burst your bubble, but not in anyone’s lifetime.

• infieldhit - Mar 13, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Dying may be a strong word, but in diverse cultures, I can sort of see how freedom of religion would lead to a decline in religion overall. Each generation gets exposed more to other people with different beliefs, they wonder why their own is any more “correct,” then just give up religion altogether. And the stigma of atheism declines also.

• js20011041 - Mar 13, 2014 at 5:05 AM

I think that may be part of it, but the larger piece is science. Everytime religion butts heads with science, it loses. We’re coming up with natural explanations for answers that used to require “god did it.” Think about that for a second. The infallible book of god’s word actually has been proven demonstrably wrong in many instances. If a person has any intellectual honesty, they have to admit that the evidence is piling up against the nonsense preached by Christianity, Islam, and the other organized religions. It also doesn’t help that in this country, religion is seen as the driving force behind a lot of hatred.

jm91rs

Check the polls. They all show people of no religious affiliation growing. Especially amongst young people. They also show the most religious of people as being the oldest subset of people. So yes, religion is literally dying.

16. yahmule - Mar 13, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Does that moron have “Charlie Hustle” embroidered on his collar?

17. musketmaniac - Mar 13, 2014 at 4:46 PM

chuck, John Cusack would have refused the pardon, have you never watched the Jack Bull.

Ace-killer Giants do it again