Mar 12, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Freddy Galvis started at shortstop over Jimmy Rollins in Wednesday’s Grapefruit League game at the Orioles’ spring training complex in Sarasota, Florida and Galvis will be getting the start again in Thursday’s home game versus the Yankees.
Rollins is considered to be fully healthy and the Phillies typically play all of their projected starters in spring home games, so reporters asked manager Ryne Sandberg to explain the peculiar absences.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com has the story:
Sandberg likes competition within a team. Given that, he was asked whether Galvis could be creeping up on Rollins, the Phillies starter at shortstop for 13 seasons.
“Freddy’s a guy that will get playing time at various positions,” Sandberg said. “He’s a guy that I like in the lineup. I felt good about what he brings to the table. The biggest thing I like is his energy and his positive influence, his positive influence on everyone around him.”
Sandberg was asked what he would say about Rollins in that regard.
“No comment,” the manager said.
It was certainly an interesting response.
Stay tuned Thursday to see where this goes.
Rollins has been criticized in the past for a lack of hustle, and former Phillies manager Charlie Manuel even benched him at one point. Now it appears that Sandberg is trying to send an early message. But does he really want his 35-year-old shortstop (who has a history of leg injuries) going all-out in mid-March?
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)