Mar 12, 2014, 7:38 PM EST
Freddy Galvis started at shortstop over Jimmy Rollins in Wednesday’s Grapefruit League game at the Orioles’ spring training complex in Sarasota, Florida and Galvis will be getting the start again in Thursday’s home game versus the Yankees.
Rollins is considered to be fully healthy and the Phillies typically play all of their projected starters in spring home games, so reporters asked manager Ryne Sandberg to explain the peculiar absences.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com has the story:
Sandberg likes competition within a team. Given that, he was asked whether Galvis could be creeping up on Rollins, the Phillies starter at shortstop for 13 seasons.
“Freddy’s a guy that will get playing time at various positions,” Sandberg said. “He’s a guy that I like in the lineup. I felt good about what he brings to the table. The biggest thing I like is his energy and his positive influence, his positive influence on everyone around him.”
Sandberg was asked what he would say about Rollins in that regard.
“No comment,” the manager said.
It was certainly an interesting response.
Stay tuned Thursday to see where this goes.
Rollins has been criticized in the past for a lack of hustle, and former Phillies manager Charlie Manuel even benched him at one point. Now it appears that Sandberg is trying to send an early message. But does he really want his 35-year-old shortstop (who has a history of leg injuries) going all-out in mid-March?
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 1
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)