Mar 12, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
As recently as two weeks ago Tom Gorzelanny said his recovery from shoulder surgery was going well and he expected to be ready for Opening Day, but now the Brewers left-hander is expected to begin the season on the disabled list.
Gorzelanny was shut down in September and underwent December surgery, with manager Ron Roenicke telling Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that his recovery schedule just doesn’t leave enough time before the regular season begins.
Gorzelanny signed a two-year, $6 million deal with the Brewers as a free agent last offseason and had a solid year split between the rotation and bullpen with a 3.90 ERA and 83/31 K/BB ratio in 85 innings.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 74
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)