Mar 13, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Toronto missed out on Ervin Santana after apparently thinking he was all but signed, with general manager Alex Anthopoulos saying the free agent right-hander joined the Braves instead because he didn’t want to pitch in the American League.
Now that the dust has settled on that situation Blue Jays manager John Gibbons indicated during a Sportsnet 590 radio interview today that the rotation spot they hoped would go to Santana will likely go to right-hander Drew Hutchison, who missed all of last season following Tommy John elbow surgery.
Prior to blowing out his elbow Hutchison was a very good prospect who had a 2.53 ERA and 171 strikeouts in 149 innings as a minor leaguer in 2011 and then showed promise as a 21-year-old rookie in 2012.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)