Mar 13, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
Doug Fister isn’t out of the woods yet with his inflamed elbow, as the Nationals right-hander felt soreness after playing catch this morning for the third straight day.
James Wagner of the Washington Post reports that Fister is still tentatively scheduled to throw a bullpen session Friday and the Nationals are hoping that it’s just some normal soreness after taking time off.
Picking him up from the Tigers was a big part of the Nationals’ offseason and drew a ton of praise for the surprisingly low price tag, but Fister hasn’t pitched in a game since March 2 and is running out of time to be ready for Opening Day even if the injury proves minor after an MRI exam showed no structural damage.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)