Mar 13, 2014, 1:13 PM EST
Whatever chance Jason Giambi had of making the Indians’ active roster out of spring training is gone now, as the veteran designated hitter suffered a broken rib from being hit by a pitch Friday.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Giambi is expected to be sidelined for 3-4 weeks and he was already no sure thing to make the team on a minor-league contract, although this does provide an opportunity for the Indians to simply place him on the disabled list and put off a 25-man roster decision until later.
Giambi is extremely popular in the Indians’ clubhouse and has been viewed as sort of a player/coach for a while now, but he hit just .183 with a .653 OPS in 71 games last season and wasn’t much better in 2012.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)