Mar 13, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Whatever chance Jason Giambi had of making the Indians’ active roster out of spring training is gone now, as the veteran designated hitter suffered a broken rib from being hit by a pitch Friday.
Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Giambi is expected to be sidelined for 3-4 weeks and he was already no sure thing to make the team on a minor-league contract, although this does provide an opportunity for the Indians to simply place him on the disabled list and put off a 25-man roster decision until later.
Giambi is extremely popular in the Indians’ clubhouse and has been viewed as sort of a player/coach for a while now, but he hit just .183 with a .653 OPS in 71 games last season and wasn’t much better in 2012.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (84)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)