Mar 13, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Jurickson Profar still hasn’t been cleared to play defense because of a shoulder injury and now the Rangers infielder has another problem to deal with: T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that he had four wisdom teeth removed today and is expected to be sidelined for 3-5 days.
Profar was already cutting it kind of close in terms of being fully healthy by Opening Day, so this certainly doesn’t help matters. He bounced around the infield as a 20-year-old rookie last season, but Profar is expected to be the Rangers’ primary second baseman following the departure of Ian Kinsler to Detroit in the Prince Fielder trade.
This time last year he was considered by many to be the best prospect in all of baseball, so getting Profar healthy will play a huge role in the Rangers’ season.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 29
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)