Mar 13, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
Keith Olbermann, you may or may not know, has some strong opinions from time to time. His opinion on Barry Bonds showing up to Giants camp as a guest hitting instructor has inspired one. Check out his rant below.
Olbermann obviously feels strongly about Bonds, as is his right. But I feel like he vastly overestimates how many people agree with his opinion. Or, if they’re generally on board with the notion that Bonds is no good, he overestimates the intensity with which most people feel it. Basically, take all of his categorical assertions about what Bonds did and the conclusions one should draw about him and add an “in my personal opinion” to them for this to be anything other than a baseless rant.
Olbermann is way too smart to not appreciate that Bonds was, PEDs or no, a great player. Or that, no matter what he feels about Bonds, many people enjoyed watching him play and still think of his playing exploits fondly, even if one (a) doesn’t care for the guy personally; and (b) acknowledges that he used PEDs. When he offers blanket accusations that Bonds ruined baseball, that no one likes him and that his performance was totally and utterly fraudulent, he’s being ridiculous and he should know better.
This sort of thing adds nothing to the conversation and it says way more about Olbermann than it says about Bonds.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)