Mar 13, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
Keith Olbermann, you may or may not know, has some strong opinions from time to time. His opinion on Barry Bonds showing up to Giants camp as a guest hitting instructor has inspired one. Check out his rant below.
Olbermann obviously feels strongly about Bonds, as is his right. But I feel like he vastly overestimates how many people agree with his opinion. Or, if they’re generally on board with the notion that Bonds is no good, he overestimates the intensity with which most people feel it. Basically, take all of his categorical assertions about what Bonds did and the conclusions one should draw about him and add an “in my personal opinion” to them for this to be anything other than a baseless rant.
Olbermann is way too smart to not appreciate that Bonds was, PEDs or no, a great player. Or that, no matter what he feels about Bonds, many people enjoyed watching him play and still think of his playing exploits fondly, even if one (a) doesn’t care for the guy personally; and (b) acknowledges that he used PEDs. When he offers blanket accusations that Bonds ruined baseball, that no one likes him and that his performance was totally and utterly fraudulent, he’s being ridiculous and he should know better.
This sort of thing adds nothing to the conversation and it says way more about Olbermann than it says about Bonds.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)