Mar 13, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
Keith Olbermann, you may or may not know, has some strong opinions from time to time. His opinion on Barry Bonds showing up to Giants camp as a guest hitting instructor has inspired one. Check out his rant below.
Olbermann obviously feels strongly about Bonds, as is his right. But I feel like he vastly overestimates how many people agree with his opinion. Or, if they’re generally on board with the notion that Bonds is no good, he overestimates the intensity with which most people feel it. Basically, take all of his categorical assertions about what Bonds did and the conclusions one should draw about him and add an “in my personal opinion” to them for this to be anything other than a baseless rant.
Olbermann is way too smart to not appreciate that Bonds was, PEDs or no, a great player. Or that, no matter what he feels about Bonds, many people enjoyed watching him play and still think of his playing exploits fondly, even if one (a) doesn’t care for the guy personally; and (b) acknowledges that he used PEDs. When he offers blanket accusations that Bonds ruined baseball, that no one likes him and that his performance was totally and utterly fraudulent, he’s being ridiculous and he should know better.
This sort of thing adds nothing to the conversation and it says way more about Olbermann than it says about Bonds.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 11
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 14
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 26
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (98)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)