Mar 13, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
Keith Olbermann, you may or may not know, has some strong opinions from time to time. His opinion on Barry Bonds showing up to Giants camp as a guest hitting instructor has inspired one. Check out his rant below.
Olbermann obviously feels strongly about Bonds, as is his right. But I feel like he vastly overestimates how many people agree with his opinion. Or, if they’re generally on board with the notion that Bonds is no good, he overestimates the intensity with which most people feel it. Basically, take all of his categorical assertions about what Bonds did and the conclusions one should draw about him and add an “in my personal opinion” to them for this to be anything other than a baseless rant.
Olbermann is way too smart to not appreciate that Bonds was, PEDs or no, a great player. Or that, no matter what he feels about Bonds, many people enjoyed watching him play and still think of his playing exploits fondly, even if one (a) doesn’t care for the guy personally; and (b) acknowledges that he used PEDs. When he offers blanket accusations that Bonds ruined baseball, that no one likes him and that his performance was totally and utterly fraudulent, he’s being ridiculous and he should know better.
This sort of thing adds nothing to the conversation and it says way more about Olbermann than it says about Bonds.
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 1
- The beauty of belief 23
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 35
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 71
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)