Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week

Mar 13, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT

Barry Bonds AP

Keith Olbermann, you may or may not know, has some strong opinions from time to time. His opinion on Barry Bonds showing up to Giants camp as a guest hitting instructor has inspired one. Check out his rant below.

Olbermann obviously feels strongly about Bonds, as is his right. But I feel like he vastly overestimates how many people agree with his opinion. Or, if they’re generally on board with the notion that Bonds is no good, he overestimates the intensity with which most people feel it. Basically, take all of his categorical assertions about what Bonds did and the conclusions one should draw about him and add an “in my personal opinion” to them for this to be anything other than a baseless rant.

Olbermann is way too smart to not appreciate that Bonds was, PEDs or no, a great player. Or that, no matter what he feels about Bonds, many people enjoyed watching him play and still think of his playing exploits fondly, even if one (a) doesn’t care for the guy personally; and (b) acknowledges that he used PEDs. When he offers blanket accusations that Bonds ruined baseball, that no one likes him and that his performance was totally and utterly fraudulent, he’s being ridiculous and he should know better.

This sort of thing adds nothing to the conversation and it says way more about Olbermann than it says about Bonds.

104 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. jkcalhoun - Mar 13, 2014 at 3:35 PM

One of several amusing things about Olbermann’s rant is that he seems to indicate that if “baseball writers”, who are not especially noteworthy for upholding moral standards, condemn you on moral grounds, then you must really be worthy of condemnation.

Which is like saying that if the Bartenders Beverage and Dispensers Union rejects your mathematical proof of the Riemann hypothesis then it must really be wrong.

• mmeyer3387 - Mar 13, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Olbermann is way out of his league when it comes to passing judgment on Bonds. Olbermann is and always be a political hack. We must remember that the political world is one where judgments and options are often more about passion than they are about logic.

• pachyderm63 - Mar 15, 2014 at 8:31 AM

he he he.

I have to say I agree with a lot of what Olbermann is saying.

I would also say it is time to forgive and forget but, Barry hasn’t apologized, so it is hard to say, “I forgive you.” without any act of contrition on his part.

Olbermann also mentioned something about “shame”. I simply don’t believe that Barry has any. That is sad. As an educator I see this more and more everyday. Kids simply aren’t taught at home about humility and shame and how to act. Not all kids, but enough to take note.

And I am actually old enough remember a Barry Bonds before the PED’s. When he first came up with the Pirates he was cocky, but still very likable. According to my source he was also very involved in the Pittsburgh community. He may have been in ‘Frisco too for all I know.

That said, he comes off to me as a spoiled kid still. I would like to forgive him but I can’t just yet.

I did have to laugh at the “baseball writers” bit though. HA! How arrogant is that? Put yourself on the pedestal much?

2. stercuilus65 - Mar 13, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Wow how hurtful it must be for Craig that his left wing buttbuddy went after his hero. Oh the angst!
    How painful for him to direct his defense of Bonds rant #368 (of 2014) against a fellow drama queen. LOL

3. temporarilyexiled - Mar 13, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Wow, Keith. I like your politics, but this rant is somehow lowering the four-letter network even further. I wonder what percentage of those who at least agree with you on this can stand watching you make such an ass of yourself. I totally disagree with your take, but if you weren’t so over the top, I’d at least find it less painful. Back to politics for you – hopefully, with more restraint.

4. innersongs - Mar 13, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Go Keith! Spot on.

5. yahmule - Mar 13, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I hope Keith took him to task for his huge ego.

;~)

6. musketmaniac - Mar 13, 2014 at 5:05 PM

The STEROID argument chapter 14,564. Ever wonder why `the home run record` dominates this conversation. I wonder if Hank Aaron could hit juiced pitching. A grounder to second, maybe.

7. jkcalhoun - Mar 13, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Last comment on this from me, I promise:

My personal view of the condemnation of Bonds on moral grounds it’s essentially a charge that he failed to transcend his era.

Which is true, he absolutely failed to do that.

But as criticism it doesn’t really amount to much, other than as a way of saying that Bonds the extraordinary athlete, when he had an opportunity to do so, failed to reveal himself as an extraordinary man. After 1998 he could have taken a strong personal stand against 40 years of neglect of issues connected with PED use on the part of all of baseball. He could have done it quietly and kept training the same way he always had, or even better he could have made use of his prominence in the game to help reverse what most of us now view as a reprehensible trend.

He did not do that. He went with the flow. Opportunity lost.

But have baseball players typically been held to such lofty standards? I don’t believe they have, either in assessing qualifications for further involvement in the game, Hall of Fame voting, or otherwise. They certainly aren’t in this forum, where I’ve been told that players of the past should be excused for espousing views or taking actions that are worthy of condemnation in our time but were typical of their times.

Would other extraordinary baseball players have done better than Bonds? No doubt some, because it’s clear that some really were extraordinary men, but I don’t see how anyone can claim that they typically would. I think Buck O’Neill was right.

• jkcalhoun - Mar 14, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Not surprisingly, Grant Brisbee is better at this than I am.

Reasonable people can disagree. That article makes a good start at distinguishing what’s reasonable from what’s unreasonable on this topic.

Olbermann on this topic: not even close.

8. linhsiu - Mar 13, 2014 at 6:59 PM

KO has been on for some time now…

And it is the Bonds/PED rant that gets HBT mention…

9. grnthghs - Mar 14, 2014 at 1:00 AM

I like Keith. He is a clever and articulate man. However, as everyone seems to agree, he is going extremely overboard on Bonds. PEDs having nothing to do with hand/eye coordination of hitting a baseball. I played when younger for many years (I was an “A” player with potential) and know from experience. Hence, Bonds albeit his personality was anything but warm (he has a privilege to change and seemingly has some) caused really the problems with him more so than the PEDs. So, if Barry was more congenial in the past, he probably would not have gotten such a pranging from Olberman. Barry was a real jerk during his playing time as everyone knows, however he was probably the greatest player ever on the field (that is where it counts) with 7 MVPs – WOW! What has personality have to do with skill – absolutely nothing. Being the fair-haired boy kept a lot of great players from the majors, certain promotional venues and contacts – politics, politics, as it continues. Let us keep it on the field like Pete Rose, Roger Clemens, Bonds, etc. What players do to their bodies should be their business and no one else’s. Remember, you only have to hit the ball 300 ft. for a homer not 450 – too bad we can’t ask Roger Maris about that barely getting them over the fence mostly (his hand injury finished him not muscles telling that the bones of the hand are more important for hitting a baseball – what has that have to do with steroids?). Beefing up like Harper has done and others means nothing and to me just slows you down. He (Harper) is an idiot anyway and very immature – still a child. Oh, I don’t respond to replies and never read them (no time – just time to comment).

10. rdanie29 - Mar 14, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I used to love watching Olbermann when he started on ESPN. He was both funny and informational. It was good times watching him on Sportscenter. Now he has turned into a pompous horsesass. Its no wonder he keeps getting fired from job after job. Whether he is right or wrong, he is still objectionable.

11. soondalo - Mar 16, 2014 at 5:02 AM

I’ve researched the internet if Barry Bonds was ever suspended for PED use, but I can’t find any web site that said that he was. But, I found names like Ryan Braun, Melky Cabrera, Nelson Cruz, Johnny Peralta, Edinson Volquez, Mike Morse, Bartolo Colon, Everth Cabrera, Carlos Ruiz and a few others, and they are currently signed for million dollar contracts. And then, there are people like Giambi and Matt Williams who admittedly used PED’s and yet remain in the game today as player and manager, respectively.

There are players who were recently voted in the HOF, and who is to say that they never used PED’s since testing only started in 2003? *MAYBE* some writers knew something about Greg Maddux that some didn’t know. Which leads me to the use of greenies.

Amphetamines are illegal unless prescribed by a medical doctor. Yet, some MLB hall of famers such as Hank Aaron, Mike Schmidt, Goose Gossage, Willie Mays, among others, have admittedly used this performance enhancers. Why aren’t people talking about putting asterisks by their names?

Babe Ruth was once rumored to inject himself with a substance that came from an animal’s testicles. Mickey Mantle, a notorious alcohol abuser, was also rumored to inject himself with steroids in 1961. Sandy Koufax and steroids? Rumors says yes.

If Barry Bonds is not inducted to the HOF, someone should have the balls to remove players who were linked to amphetamines and those rumored to have taken steroids.

12. bikerepairguy - Mar 17, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I agree with Keith Olbermann! Bonds is a cheat and a liar and has no business wearing a MLB ballcap, especially one with the orange SF. I’ve been a San Francisco Giants fan for over 50 years and saw the greats of SF play: Mays, McCovey, Cepeda, Clark, Alou brothers, etc. But Barry Bonds does not deserve any accolades as a player and should never be in the Hall of Fame. He is an arrogant, condescending prig.

13. markisb62 - Mar 20, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Personally I cannot stand Keith Olberman for MANY reasons. He;s a self promoting blowhard, and an embarrassment to his party. But even Keith gets this one right. He actually hits it right on the head. Bonds is a cheat, a fraud, and gloats in the face of anyone who judges baseball by being held to play the morally right. Bonds blew it all and scoffs at the idea of coming clean in any way. When Keith says “Get Lost”, that’s about the opinion of 95% of people and real fans of baseball. Get lost Barry, enough already.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win