Manny Ramirez: the drug suspensions were “the best thing happened to me”

Mar 13, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

BASEBALL-TPE-US-RAMIREZ Getty Images

Ken Rosenthal has an exclusive interview with Manny Ramirez. As we saw last week, Manny wants back in baseball. That may be a pipe dream, but it’s not anything new.

What is new is Manny speaking openly about his two PED suspensions:

He received a 50-game suspension in ’09 and was on the verge of a 100-game suspension in ’11, but he referred to his discipline as “the best thing happened to me.”

“I appreciate what I have more,” he said. “And I know I’ve got to take care of it. Before I do something, I’ve got to think twice: ‘If I do this, this is going to come out.’

“Before you did things and you didn’t worry about the consequences. Now you’ve got the knowledge and experience. You know you’ve got to do the right thing.”

Good interview. Manny is still pretty deluded in my view, but he’s now more expressively deluded. I guess that’s progress.

1. halladaysbiceps - Mar 13, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Good for Manny. Pretty soon, he will also be encompassed in the “Pete Rose Bubble” as well and everyone will love him too. Praise Manny!

• Tim OShenko - Mar 13, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Time heals all wounds. Well, all except the scabs we pick at obsessively.

• halladaysbiceps - Mar 13, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Thanks Tim. I appreciate it.

2. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Mar 13, 2014 at 12:39 PM

“You know you’ve got to do the right thing.”

Really? Really?

3. hammerhead5573 - Mar 13, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Yes a Manny, cheating was the best that happened to you. You capitalized on it and were banned twice because of it. Got it, cheating pays off, thanks for doing your part and helping ruin the sport.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 13, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Yes, Manny ruined baseball. Look at it! Baseball is in shambles.

• djandujar - Mar 13, 2014 at 12:58 PM

The game would be so much more interesting if they made steroid use mandatory.

• nykfanwakemeupin2015 - Mar 13, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Agreed. Baseballs most popular time was in 1998 when McGuire and Sosa were chasing the home run record and both juiced up.

4. karlkolchak - Mar 13, 2014 at 12:55 PM

He should be suspended another 100 games for preposition abuse. No Manny, the word you are looking for is “I.” From your other public utterances, you are clearly well familiar with it.

• jerze2387 - Mar 13, 2014 at 1:07 PM

preposition abuse? are you tha grammar police?

And besides that, maybe his use of “you” was in an effort to make it a lesson to others from his mistakes. He’s already made them, so hes saying “you need to think before acting so you dont do the same”.

• stex52 - Mar 13, 2014 at 1:09 PM

No it’s not preposition abuse. He is pointing out that Manny is trying to generalize his own failings to take the blame off of himself. I agree.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 13, 2014 at 1:53 PM

He has gone from talking about himself in the third person to talking about himself in the second person. He is one integer closer to being correct.

• raysfan1 - Mar 13, 2014 at 4:03 PM

If we are going to go all grammar police on people, then “I” and “you” are pronouns and not prepositions.

• stex52 - Mar 13, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Oh yeah. Talk about getting caught up in the spirit of the argument. “pronouns”

• stex52 - Mar 13, 2014 at 4:59 PM

sorry about that.

5. deathmonkey41 - Mar 13, 2014 at 2:17 PM

“Let me ask you a question,” Ramirez said. “I’m 41 years old and you’re asking me if I could still hit the way I used to hit. Nobody is going to hit like when they were 25, 27 or 30 when they’re 41 years old. I don’t care how good you are. It’s not going to happen. But you can contribute in other ways.”

You mean unless you’re Big Papi, right Manny? Then you can show your age and then miraculously look 15 yrs younger one day and win World Series MVP!

6. musketmaniac - Mar 13, 2014 at 3:54 PM

hammer, babe ruth ruined the game

Three legends off to Cooperstown