Mar 13, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Reds right-hander Mat Latos will take a significant step tomorrow in his recovery from February surgery on his left knee, as AJ Cassavell of MLB.com reports that he’s scheduled to throw batting practice for the first time this spring.
Latos, who is also coming back from a cleanup procedure on his elbow in October, was cleared to face hitters after he used all of his pitches in an extended bullpen session on Tuesday. There’s not enough time left on the exhibition calendar for him to be stretched out in time for Opening Day, but the Reds haven’t ruled him out as an option to pitch when they need a fifth starter for the first time on April 6 against the Mets in New York.
Latos, 26, posted a 3.16 ERA and 187/55 K/BB ratio over 210 2/3 innings last season.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)