Mar 13, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Tomko turns 41 in April and hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2011 as a member of the Rangers, but he was reportedly throwing in the 90-93 mph during winter ball in the Dominican Republic and planned to audition for teams at the end of January. He’ll receive a salary of $510,000 if he makes it back to the majors.
Tomko owns a 4.65 ERA over a 14-year major league career, including a brief stint with the Royals in 2008. He pitched with the independent York Revolution last year.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)