Mar 13, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
Don’t expect Scott Boras to admit this — or for him to allow Stephen Drew to publicly do so — but Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe has the inside scoop:
Red Sox players say Stephen Drew now regrets not taking the qualifying offer when he had the chance. But the veteran players have turned from the idea that the team needs Drew back. That was the case at the beginning of camp, but not since they’ve had a chance to see Will Middlebrooks re-commit himself.
The first part of that — Drew regretting it — is news. You figure that he did not anticipate his offseason being so long. Or the Mets and Yankees, each of whom could really benefit by his presence, being so loathe to go after him.
The second part — the players no longer thinking the team needs Drew back — is something different. It’s not not news, I guess, but it would be more newsworthy for someone three weeks into spring training to admit that the team, as currently structured, is not fine. To do so would be a tacit swipe at the current players and the front office.
Put differently, a Red Sox player is not going to say now that they need Drew. But if the Sox signed Drew tomorrow, they’d all say “wow, great to have him back. Huge addition. We’re so much better now.”
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 0
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 48
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)