The Mets could solve their shortstop problem via a trade with the Diamondbacks

Mar 13, 2014, 7:52 AM EDT

Mets shortstop Tejada cannot field an RBI hit by Twins' Plouffe in Minneapolis Reuters

The Mets shortstop situation is still in flux. Or a mess. Or a tire fire. Or is being overly-focused upon because nothing else is going on. Take your pick. Just know that it’s what everyone who goes to Port St. Lucie is talking about.

The latest being John Harper of the Daily News. Who, after noting that Ruben Tejada has been struggling at short this spring, reports on one possibility at Sandy Alderson’s disposal:

Meanwhile, a source affiliated with another ballclub, who has past ties to GM Sandy Alderson, said the Mets are continuing to monitor the Diamondbacks’ shortstop competition, and “could jump in” to try to make a trade for either Didi Gregorius or Chris Owings before spring training ends.

That would cost the Mets a catching and a pitching prospect, Harper says. Which seems high to me when Stephen Drew is literally sitting around waiting for his phone to ring.

1. nymets4ever - Mar 13, 2014 at 8:11 AM

I still believe Tejada is young and talented enough to turn his career around. That said, the Mets may no longer have that same faith. And while it’s true that Drew would just cost money, the Mets might be looking for a longer-term solution at the position.

They don’t really have a great shortstop prospect in the minors. They have this guy Gavin Cecchini, but he looks like a defensive replacement. They have another guy named Amed Rosario, but he’s a ways away. Even though a guy like Gregorious would cost players (probably pitcher Rafael Montero and catcher Kevin Plawecki), he’s a cost-controlled guy who you can plug in as shortstop for the next decade.

• themanytoolsofignorance - Mar 13, 2014 at 8:15 AM

But, but, but . . . isn’t this Craig’s fault? All of it? I mean, thats your thing. Don’t go all “talking baseball” now. We aint used to none of this from you. C’mon. Craig hates your team. he’s slanted. He insulted something of yours. Perhaps your scrotum. You secretly imagine him admiring it. Now make a homophobic remark and blame Craig, ok?

• zzalapski - Mar 13, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Last year, Tejeda compiled a .288/.337/.379 line at AAA. Note that a) this was his 3rd season with substantial action at that level; b) this was his most robust performance at that level; and c) this was at hitter-friendly Las Vegas.

You’re right in that Tejeda is still young enough to turn his career around, but it probably won’t amound to much more than a backup IF. It doesn’t matter how good he is with the glove if he can’t show anything with the bat.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 13, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Tejada stinks worse than your opinions, and that is a foul stench indeed.

2. themanytoolsofignorance - Mar 13, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Will that “nymets” guy turn up to parse this into an anti-Calcaterra screed? I look forward to his word smithing. He has a gift for twisting meaning. haven’t seen the like since my ex-wife

3. sdelmonte - Mar 13, 2014 at 8:37 AM

I think that Alderson and Boras just don’t do business well. And that Boras has not done well by his client.

Which isn’t to say that the price tag for Drew isn’t going to start dropping soon and that Mets aren’t thinking about it.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 13, 2014 at 8:52 AM

I believe that signing Drew would cost the Mets the 84th draft pick, so Drew could be an option if his price comes down.

I get the impression that several teams are tired of Boras. The Jays are certainly not listening to his pleas to sign Drew or Montero.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 13, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Teams are always tired of agents who get the most that the market will bear for their players. It never stops them from signing those players if it makes sense for the organization.

Drew just doesn’t make any sense for the Mets since they stink, only a potentially winning team should be interested in an expensive stopgap like J.D.’s little brother.

The Mets should be looking to trade some prospects for Nick Franklin.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 13, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Are you implying that agents who falsely claim that their client is the greatest thing since sliced bread, should be respected by General Managers?

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 13, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Nope, I’m saying that personal feelings about agents don’t enter into team decision making. If personal feelings of antipathy affect a GM’s judgment, that GM should be fired.

I’m also saying that I just don’t understand the hatred of Scott Boras in these quarters. He’s the best there’s ever been in the player representation industry. He drives salaries higher, yes. But high salaries aren’t hurting baseball, they’re just taking some of the loose millions in change from a few billionaires’ pockets and moving them to the people we actually show up to watch. I can’t for the life of me see why that’s a bad thing.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 13, 2014 at 9:37 AM

He currently has 2 well known clients who are unemployed because he wanted more than the market would bear.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 13, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I’m sorry to have to say this because I like you and all, but you are grievously mistaken in this. That Morales and Drew are still unsigned is an unintended consequence of a malfunctioning MLB rule.

Everybody wants more than the market will bear, and it does a disservice to actual unemployed people to apply that phrase to two multi-millionaires who are in active negotiations to become more multi-millionaire-y.

Two days ago, everyone who hates Boras would have said the same of Ervin Santana, but he was just waiting to find a team that better suited his talent, money was never the issue. The offer he accepted from the Barves was the exact same deal he turned down from your Jays.

Morales and Drew will sign with the team of their choosing at the time of their choosing. It’s a waiting game. Teams are biding their time, pretending they have more palatable options. What’s going to happen is what always happens, someone other than Boras is going to blink first, and his clients will end up in the best situation available for the most money they can get. I know this as sure as I know that the sun will rise tomorrow.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 13, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Absolutely none of what you’re saying here is true or makes a lick of sense. It’s the same exact drivel that was posted here last year at this time about Kyle Lohse before he signed a giant three-year deal. Don’t you Boras-haters ever get tired of being wrong?

• sdelmonte - Mar 13, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I don’t hate Boras. I just wouldn’t hire him as my agent.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 13, 2014 at 9:56 AM

People choose inferior options for a multitude of reasons every day. I don’t know Scott Boras, I don’t like him or dislike him. I just know that he’s the best player agent that has ever been, and that fan vitriol against him is woefully misplaced. All his guys ever do is get paid.

• stex52 - Mar 13, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I dislike Scott Boras for some of his dealings in the past. But you are correct, Uncle. He does a very good job for almost all of his clients, with just an occasional misstep. People shouldn’t kid themselves. If he acts the way he does, it’s because the player he represents wants the maximum deal and don’t care how confrontational it gets. Players have the choice of a lot of agents. When they choose him they send a message.

Classic example: Mark Appel and the 2013 draft. In 2012 he was clearly after top dollar and so dropped to eighth. So he passed on Pittsburgh and went back to school. In 2013 he had just as clearly told Boras that he wanted to land in Houston (he is from the area). Suddenly Boras and Astros’ management made nice and the signing was nice and smooth and on budget.

In the end, Boras is an agent who does what his clients want.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 13, 2014 at 11:37 AM

I love it when people agree with me. :-)

Astros note & question. Japhet Amador is really really fat. How do you feel about Wallace getting released?

• stex52 - Mar 13, 2014 at 11:56 AM

I thought that Wallace had played out his string, but I thought they would give him a chance to platoon, being that Carter is such a strikeout artist and Wallace can pound righthanders when he is hot. But he showed up fat and slow early in his career, still struggles with breaking stuff, and doesn’t have a position he is particularly good at. I thought it was a shame for him and the team that drafted him, but I didn’t think his chances were good this year.

Amador I don’t know much about yet. Astros are trying to make a splash with their Mexican League connections, but I don’t know much other than he is supposed to be a beast for power hitting.

I think the future of 1st base with the Astros plays itself around:
        1. If and when Singleton is ready for the show.
        2. Can Carter get the OBP up.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Interesting – thanks for the inside scoop. Saw Amador in Florida this week & he made Wallace look svelte.

Not that Wallace was actually svelte.

• rdanie29 - Mar 13, 2014 at 2:20 PM

I understand that you have a man-crush on Boras, but you sir, are an idiot.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 13, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I respect Scott Boras because he’s at the pinnacle of his profession.

You on the other hand, are beneath contempt, as is anyone who uses the phrase “man-crush” while attempting to make an argument. I am 100% certain that you are as big a failure as your weak, sad attempt to make an argument.

4. chill1184 - Mar 13, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Team is in between a rock and a hard place in regards to SS. There is no real “safe” option:

1. Either sign Drew which costs the team it’s 3rd round pick and draft pool money. The player wants an opt out clause after one year. (unless I misread something if there is an opt out clause, the team losing the player cannot offer said player the QO). Also runs the risk of only being a marginal upgrade

2. Trade for Nick Franklin who some have said isn’t really a solution at SS and would most likely cost Montero and reliever like DeGrom. That’s a big price for a player a team hopes to convert. Also his minor league numbers are all over the place

3. Working a trade with the Diamondbacks would probably cost even more than Franklin. I’ve read that the price would probably be Plawecki (considered to be the backup if d’Arnaud becomes a bust), Montero and a reliever.

5. thedudabides - Mar 13, 2014 at 9:52 AM

I’d be ok with this as long as Montero or Noah aren’t traded. I honestly feel that Montero is going to be the better pitcher out of Noah, Wheeler, and himself. Trade for Franklin or sign Drew. Please don’t trade Montero. A rotation of:
    Harvey
    Wheeler
    Syndergard
    Montero
    Colon/Neise

Is going to look incredible next year.

6. jfk69 - Mar 13, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Are the Mets going anywhere this year. NO
    So why sign Drew for 2 with an option unless he willing to consider a three year deal at 25-27 million. Nobody wants him at 14,12 or 10 for that matter. 25 million three years. Drew can get back to me when he finishes listening to Boras.
    A low first round or less draft pick means nothing. 85% of these players taken won’t make it to the game. If they do. It is at least three years away. Ball is in your court Stephen.
    I like him at my price. He would solidify the left side of the Mets infield.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3117)