The Orioles are also interested in Nick Franklin

Mar 13, 2014, 6:28 PM EST

Nick Franklin Getty Getty Images

We learned last month that the Mets and Rays had been in touch with the Mariners about a trade for infielder Nick Franklin, but CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Orioles are also interested.

Baltimore would be a logical fit for Franklin, as Ryan Flaherty, Jonathan Schoop, Jemile Weeks, and Alexi Casilla are the current internal options to play second base. He would likely be in the mix at second base with the Rays as well, but the Mets are scouting him as a shortstop this spring. However, there’s still some question about his ability to handle the position defensively at the major league level.

Franklin is competing with Brad Miller for the starting shortstop job with the Mariners this spring, but he remains the underdog despite posting some impressive numbers in Cactus League play. He came into today’s action hitting .304 (7-for-23) with one home run and three doubles in eight games. While he’s probably not going to win the starting job over Miller, the solid showing can only help his trade value.

1. spudchukar - Mar 13, 2014 at 7:38 PM

As they should be. However, I don’t see anybody they have to entice the Mariners.

2. Reflex - Mar 13, 2014 at 9:26 PM

I wish they’d deal Miller. I think Franklin has more upside.

• illbarry - Mar 14, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Its difficult to say who has more upside they are two different types of players. Personally I would like to see the M.s find a way to keep, both but that would mean a change of position for one and Miller is the better defensive player.

• Reflex - Mar 14, 2014 at 11:17 PM

I’d agree but I think they believe Seager is for real. I don’t and would prefer them keep both because I think Seager does not repeat last year.

3. chill1184 - Mar 13, 2014 at 11:57 PM

He’s more of a fit for the Orioles and Rays than he is for the Mets

4. nvl004 - Mar 14, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Trading for Franklin makes me wonder what the O’s plan is for Schoop. Possibly moving him to 3rd and shifting Manny over if they don’t resign Hardy long term? I like Franklin a lot but doesn’t make sense if Schoop is the 2B of the future. Schoop is a big guy and could play the hot corner I guess, I dunno.

• ffnogoodnik - Mar 14, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Well, J.J. Hardy’s contract is up at the end of this year. If they get Franklin now they will be able to let Hardy go and move Franklin to shortstop next year, move Schoop to 2B. That would give the 22 year old Schoop another year at AAA.

• Reflex - Mar 14, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Machado is their SS of the future. Franklin is fine at second, I don’t know if he can play third or not.

• vegetablemed - Mar 15, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Wouldn’t be the first time the O’s traded for a up and coming Mariners player and made him into a bonafide star.

5. denny65 - Mar 15, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Brad Miller is the Ms shortstop, period.

Don’t believe it? Check out the Mariners TV commercials for 2014.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5310)