Mar 13, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
The Toronto Blue Jays’ single-A affiliate, the Lansing Lugnuts,want to add 100 residential units just beyond the outfield wall as part of a stadium renovation:
By 2016, people might be living at Lansing’s minor league ballpark.
As many as 100 new apartments could be built in the outfield of Cooley Law School Stadium as part of a top-to-bottom makeover planned for the park over the next two years that would rebuild the field, dugouts, locker rooms and scoreboard.
The article has a slide show with additional artist’s renderings of what it’ll be like as well as information about how it will be paid for. You’ll be shocked to learn that the city, under the current proposal, is on the hook for half the cost. Which while not ideal at least goes toward urban development that is not exclusively aimed at the ballpark. I mean, people will move in to this place and that’ll actually be an economic benefit. As opposed to the mostly illusory benefits ballpark proposals usually promise.
I’m surprised you don’t see more of this actually, but I suppose ballpark owners don’t want to give away the product for free.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)