Mar 14, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Hank the Dog, the stray who wandered into Maryvale Baseball Park and became an unofficial Brewers mascot this spring, has a permanent home. In Milwaukee of all places:
The stray pup who has won legions of fans since showing up at Maryvale Baseball Park along with Brewers pitchers and catchers will move north to Milwaukee on Sunday. He will travel on a Southwest Airlines Charter flight with Brewers sponsors and family members and executives, one of whom is adopting Hank and taking him home.
The “of all places” is a little sarcastic, as this is clearly no coincidence. Nor is it, I suspect, a random adoption. My guess is that his role of unofficial mascot is going to soon become rather official, either on behalf of the Brewers or — more likely — on behalf of a Brewers sponsor. I mean really, you telling me that if Acme Widgets — the Official Widget Provider of the Milwaukee Brewers — had Hank at their Widget store at the corner of Appleton Ave. and Pilgrim Road in beautiful Menomonee Falls, that a horde of people wouldn’t come to see him? And maybe buy a widget?
I’m not trying to sound cynical here. I don’t really care where he goes as long as he’s loved and has a home. Heck, maybe a charitable organization has adopted him and he’ll be a goodwill ambassador. That would be cool. And even if he is at the widget place, at least Brewers fans will get to see him. So that’s nice.
But yes, I do predict something promotional or quasi-promotional in the offing for good old Hank.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)