Mar 14, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Hank the Dog, the stray who wandered into Maryvale Baseball Park and became an unofficial Brewers mascot this spring, has a permanent home. In Milwaukee of all places:
The stray pup who has won legions of fans since showing up at Maryvale Baseball Park along with Brewers pitchers and catchers will move north to Milwaukee on Sunday. He will travel on a Southwest Airlines Charter flight with Brewers sponsors and family members and executives, one of whom is adopting Hank and taking him home.
The “of all places” is a little sarcastic, as this is clearly no coincidence. Nor is it, I suspect, a random adoption. My guess is that his role of unofficial mascot is going to soon become rather official, either on behalf of the Brewers or — more likely — on behalf of a Brewers sponsor. I mean really, you telling me that if Acme Widgets — the Official Widget Provider of the Milwaukee Brewers — had Hank at their Widget store at the corner of Appleton Ave. and Pilgrim Road in beautiful Menomonee Falls, that a horde of people wouldn’t come to see him? And maybe buy a widget?
I’m not trying to sound cynical here. I don’t really care where he goes as long as he’s loved and has a home. Heck, maybe a charitable organization has adopted him and he’ll be a goodwill ambassador. That would be cool. And even if he is at the widget place, at least Brewers fans will get to see him. So that’s nice.
But yes, I do predict something promotional or quasi-promotional in the offing for good old Hank.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 25
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 44
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)