Mar 14, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Hank the Dog, the stray who wandered into Maryvale Baseball Park and became an unofficial Brewers mascot this spring, has a permanent home. In Milwaukee of all places:
The stray pup who has won legions of fans since showing up at Maryvale Baseball Park along with Brewers pitchers and catchers will move north to Milwaukee on Sunday. He will travel on a Southwest Airlines Charter flight with Brewers sponsors and family members and executives, one of whom is adopting Hank and taking him home.
The “of all places” is a little sarcastic, as this is clearly no coincidence. Nor is it, I suspect, a random adoption. My guess is that his role of unofficial mascot is going to soon become rather official, either on behalf of the Brewers or — more likely — on behalf of a Brewers sponsor. I mean really, you telling me that if Acme Widgets — the Official Widget Provider of the Milwaukee Brewers — had Hank at their Widget store at the corner of Appleton Ave. and Pilgrim Road in beautiful Menomonee Falls, that a horde of people wouldn’t come to see him? And maybe buy a widget?
I’m not trying to sound cynical here. I don’t really care where he goes as long as he’s loved and has a home. Heck, maybe a charitable organization has adopted him and he’ll be a goodwill ambassador. That would be cool. And even if he is at the widget place, at least Brewers fans will get to see him. So that’s nice.
But yes, I do predict something promotional or quasi-promotional in the offing for good old Hank.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)