Mar 14, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
Rick Porcello was probably the happiest guy in the world when the Tigers traded for shortstop Jose Iglesias last season. A groundball pitcher matched up with a top-notch defensive shortstop is the stuff that dreams are made of.
Sadly for both of them, however, they won’t be together to kick off the season. Lynn Henning of the Detroit News reports that it “seems to be near-certain” Jose Iglesias will begin the season on the disabled list.
Iglesias was said to be improving and may very well be, but he is seeing another specialist today regarding the pain and stress he’s had in his shins (Brad Ausmus has been loathe to call it “shin splints,” though that’s how it has generally been described). Even if things are going well, it’s going to soon turn into a matter of not having enough reps under his belt before the team goes north, which would mean some extended spring training for Iglesias.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)