Mar 14, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
Rick Porcello was probably the happiest guy in the world when the Tigers traded for shortstop Jose Iglesias last season. A groundball pitcher matched up with a top-notch defensive shortstop is the stuff that dreams are made of.
Sadly for both of them, however, they won’t be together to kick off the season. Lynn Henning of the Detroit News reports that it “seems to be near-certain” Jose Iglesias will begin the season on the disabled list.
Iglesias was said to be improving and may very well be, but he is seeing another specialist today regarding the pain and stress he’s had in his shins (Brad Ausmus has been loathe to call it “shin splints,” though that’s how it has generally been described). Even if things are going well, it’s going to soon turn into a matter of not having enough reps under his belt before the team goes north, which would mean some extended spring training for Iglesias.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 9
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 10
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)