Mar 14, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
Rick Porcello was probably the happiest guy in the world when the Tigers traded for shortstop Jose Iglesias last season. A groundball pitcher matched up with a top-notch defensive shortstop is the stuff that dreams are made of.
Sadly for both of them, however, they won’t be together to kick off the season. Lynn Henning of the Detroit News reports that it “seems to be near-certain” Jose Iglesias will begin the season on the disabled list.
Iglesias was said to be improving and may very well be, but he is seeing another specialist today regarding the pain and stress he’s had in his shins (Brad Ausmus has been loathe to call it “shin splints,” though that’s how it has generally been described). Even if things are going well, it’s going to soon turn into a matter of not having enough reps under his belt before the team goes north, which would mean some extended spring training for Iglesias.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)