Mar 14, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Not only did White Sox left-hander Jose Quintana struggle in yesterday’s start against the Angels, allowing seven runs in three innings, he almost didn’t make it to the ballpark in time to take the mound.
Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com and manager Robin Venutra explain:
“He got stuck in traffic,” Ventura said. “I don’t know if that was necessarily it, but I think getting in, the shin, getting back out there hopefully had something to do with it. He was up and in the zone. I think he just felt rushed. Everything was up, and they had some pretty good swings in there.”
Quintana could be seen racing across the field from the right-field entrance with his equipment bag slung over his shoulder sometime after 12:30 p.m. PST on Friday.
Athletes, they’re just like us!
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 23
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 82
- The Lester trade is a win-win 110
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (110)