Josh Beckett exits spring start early with a sore thumb

Mar 14, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

Josh Beckett AP AP

Josh Beckett apparently got his thumb caught in a door about two weeks ago. He tried to pitch through it in his start against the Cubs on Friday afternoon but he could only make it through three of his four scheduled innings, reports Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times. The Dodgers are calling it a thumb contusion.

Beckett did pitch reasonably well regardless, allowing only one hit and walking two while striking out one. It’s not yet known if he will make his next scheduled start.

Paul Maholm is the odd man out in the rotation but if Beckett needs to miss time, he would get the call from the Dodgers.

Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.

1. tfbuckfutter - Mar 14, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Every Boston Red Sox fan is wishing you the best, you fat dickhead.

• notsofast10 - Mar 14, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Oh, so sorry, poor Red Sox fan still has hurt feelings!

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 14, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Don’t feel too bad.

The World Series win, helped by dumping douchebags on other teams, really soothes the hurt feelings.

• Professor Fate - Mar 14, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Don’t feel too smug, your team is developing its own home-grown douchebags:

• mmeyer3387 - Mar 15, 2014 at 12:13 AM

First, in full disclosure, I’ve never been much of a Beckett fan and I’m glad that he isn’t on my team’s roster. Yet as a fan of the game, we should be able to discuss one of the game’s players with more substance and less profanity. As a fan of the game as well, I’m sure that you have a real passion for baseball. The game is clearly much bigger than the likes of a player that seems to have little regard for fans or the love and integrity of the wonderful game of baseball. Lets move on and forget about someone such as Beckett, he isn’t worth it, because there are so many other players that represent the game better than Beckett.

• dillongeeescapeplan - Mar 15, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Can’t say I’m a fan of Beckett, but man, the guy had some spectacular performances. When he was at the top of his game, he was a lot of fun to watch.

It’s a shame he wasn’t the most likable guy out there. Nor the most durable.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 15, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Actually “fat dickhead” was a much nicer term than I wished to use.

2. tfbuckfutter - Mar 14, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I checked the FanDuel link….why is there a Salary Cap for BASEBALL?

I assume I can sign up for as many teams as I want at $25 but why can’t I have just 1 team and pay $25 as many times as I want for an unlimited salary cap?

Or….would that make things unfair?

• rdanie29 - Mar 14, 2014 at 6:22 PM

I think that unlike real life, and who can BUY the best team, this is a fantasy league, where the object is to CHOOSE the best team.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 14, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Oh.

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

3. pastabelly - Mar 14, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Hopefully, he’ll be picking up Popeyes drumsticks with the other hand.

4. karlkolchak - Mar 14, 2014 at 7:19 PM

In honor of how he got hurt, he should change his warm up music to “Light My Fire.”

5. hockeyflow33 - Mar 14, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Get used to this LA, he loves thumb and back injuries.

6. jrbdmb - Mar 14, 2014 at 11:14 PM

New entrance tune – Zedd “Slam The Door”.

When he gets pulled – D’Angelo “Chicken Grease”

7. therooneyskilledwebster - Mar 15, 2014 at 3:54 AM

If you’ll be my Dixie chicken, I’ll be your Tennessee lamb…Thanks Magic, your WS ring is in the mail.

8. zdravit - Mar 15, 2014 at 1:42 PM

GET YOUR AD OUT OF MY BECKETT UPDATE

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (3032)