Mar 14, 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
Matt Garza has some fightin’ words for his former team. The right-hander doesn’t have any real grudge against the Cubs, as he previously stated that he enjoyed playing in Chicago, but vowed to try to “kick their teeth in” every time he’s on the hill for the Brewers against them.
“And I wish them the best,” he said. “But I like where I’m at, and I’m going to try to kick their teeth in every time I get a chance.”
Nothing personal. Mostly.
Garza has only made three starts against former teams. He handled the Twins well, but was shelled by the Rays.
- vs. Twins (2 starts): 14.0 IP, 4 ER, 15 K, 4 BB, 2 HR
- vs. Rays (1 start): 4.1 IP, 6 ER, 3 K, 2 BB, 1 HR
As Cubs are an NL Central rival, Garza should make two or three starts against them by the end of the regular season.
The Brewers signed Garza to a four-year, $50 million contract at the end of January. In two and a half seasons with the Cubs and a half-season with the Rangers, Garza posted an aggregate 3.62 ERA with 429 strikeouts in 457 innings. Now 30 years old, the Brewers are hoping Garza can continue pitching well — he has posted an ERA of 3.95 or lower in every single one of his full seasons in the big leagues.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 59
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)