Mike Trout isn’t setting any deadlines on his contract extension talk

Mar 14, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT

mike trout getty Getty Images

Mike Trout is pretty relaxed about the timetable he’s facing to become a centimillionaire. Mike DiGiovanna reports that, unlike a lot of guys who negotiate contract extensions with their current teams, Trout is OK with it if negotiations on his deal with the Angels carry over to the regular season:

“It doesn’t matter to me,” said Trout, who signed for $1 million this season but is expected to command well over $100 million in an extension. “Nothing bothers me. I go out there and play, man. I don’t worry about any of that stuff.”

This sure is a tough one. I mean, if I was making less than 100th of the contract I was currently negotiating, I’d create arbitrary deadlines myself. Cut that stuff off at the quick, you know? But Mike Trout is probably smart to give the Angels all the time they need to unload the money truck.

1. jm91rs - Mar 14, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I always hate when players say the deal needs to be done before the season so they can focus on playing. How much stuff is going on in your mind that you can’t meet with team management once every few weeks for an hour or two? And the agents do most of the work anyway, they know where he wants to be and when they get close they call him up. Good for Trout, basically saying what we all know.

• happytwinsfan - Mar 14, 2014 at 4:38 PM

what you say is true, but if a negotiation is a game of chicken, you gotta have a deadline for somebody to swerve at.

• jm91rs - Mar 14, 2014 at 6:56 PM

If I’m Mike Trout my deadline is when free agency starts. Just tell them there will be no discounts when he gets to free agency, so if you want him for any of his free agent years it better be a sweet deal now. Otherwise you play for the Rookie Deal and break the bank with the Dodgers or Yankees in a few years.

2. andreweac - Mar 14, 2014 at 3:32 PM

The MVP award will be named the Mike Trout Award in 20 years. Book it.

3. asimonetti88 - Mar 14, 2014 at 4:28 PM

This kid is more legit than giraffes.

4. mattinglyschmidt - Mar 14, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Asimonetti88 wins the thread!

5. stex52 - Mar 14, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Craig, it really does pain me to be the decimal police, but centi- means 1/100. Hecto means 100X.

In the case of our young DUI Red Sox catcher you probably mean a centimillionaire (very soon). But I expect Trout is negotiating to be a hectomillionaire.

Okay, I will try not to be that way often.

• ptfu - Mar 14, 2014 at 6:25 PM

If Mike Trout is earning pennies on the dollar then he’s already a cent(s)imillionaire.

Okay, I’ll show myself out.

6. kraa0901 - Mar 14, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I was one of the bigger doubters of Trout, but the guy keeps mashing, while others say he can maintain the production…..I’m finally on the Trout train.

Wish the a twins could find even HALF the outfielder he is….Byron Buxton???

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3793)