More bad news for the Braves: Brandon Beachy could need Tommy John surgery too

Mar 14, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT

The Braves better hope there’s a two-for-one sale at Dr. Andrews’ office, because in addition to Kris Medlen almost certainly needing a second Tommy John surgery, it appears as though Brandon Beachy is heading in that direction too.

Previously it was assumed that Beachy’s problem was merely muscle soreness — in his biceps specifically — but Dave O’Brien of the AJC is reporting that it’s looking way worse:

O’Brien reports that Beachy and Medlen will both meet with Dr. Andrews on Monday. That should be a cheery drive up to his office. And a nice, happy time sitting in the waiting room reading “Highlights” magazine or whatever guys do while waiting to be told their careers are in jeopardy.

If so, they should know that this is in this month’s “Highlights,” which, yes, we get here at Chez Calcaterra:

source:

1. gothapotamus90210 - Mar 14, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Color me shocked.

Keep relying on high potential pitchers who’ve had major elbow and shoulder surgeries already. Let me know how that one goes.

• emdash01 - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:04 PM

If you have any alternatives, baseball would probably be psyched to hear about them. Not many pitchers out there without an injury history.

• gothapotamus90210 - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM

18-1 to win the WS (as of a few weeks ago) seems a bit lofty for a team who has multiple pitchers with McCain Arm. Maybe I should’ve pointed my comment towards the gambling community.

• recoveringcubsfan - Mar 14, 2014 at 4:24 PM

McCain Arm? Bob Dole thinks that’s rude.

• gothapotamus90210 - Mar 14, 2014 at 5:35 PM

@cubsfan (slow clap)

• gothapotamus90210 - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:23 PM

To the downvoters: waaah, I’m a bed wetting liberal and baseball shouldn’t have injuries.

• Pat Richardson - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:28 PM

waaah

• yahmule - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:50 PM

The only one crying like a colicky baby is you.

• gothapotamus90210 - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I ain’t sayin’, but I’m just sayin’ …

“If there were odds on Beachy’s future, I’d be willing to bet he’ll have at least one more right elbow surgery within the next five years. When he does, I’ll repost this thread for you.”

• stex52 - Mar 14, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Hey, not half bad for a bed-wetting conservative.

2. moogro - Mar 14, 2014 at 11:50 AM

More casualties of an escalating arms race.

3. jolink653 - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Aha I got one! That bottle of ketchup isn’t using a catcher’s mitt!

• recoveringcubsfan - Mar 14, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I rarely have kudos for Craig, but his taste in children’s educational magazines is impeccable.

Might I trouble you, good sir, to reveal what MM Goofus and Gallant are up to this month? (Guess the social conditioning worked on me!)

4. dparker713 - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Poor form to not include the answer key Craig.

5. Pat Richardson - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Braves signed Ervin to throw 440 IP, right?

6. Simon M. - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:07 PM

I do hope that’s a mountain in place of the pitchers mound and not the pile of triceratops droppings from Jurassic Park

7. chiadam - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Everything looks normal there. Both RFs are positioned correctly, the ump at second vase is 35 feet tall, the ketchup bottle isn’t blocking the plate, and the pitcher built a perfect sand castle.

• sandwiches4ever - Mar 14, 2014 at 4:27 PM

I suspect Joe Maddon will employ that shift at some point this season.

8. proudlycanadian - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:15 PM

This news reminds me of the Hee Haw gang singing “Gloom, Despair, and Agony”.

9. 13yrsmlbvet - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Braves notorious for outdated training procedures. Showing up now.

• realgone2 - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:44 PM

You are correct on that one.

• yahmule - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Can you provide more details on this? Or a link? This has got me curious.

• realgone2 - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I’ll have to do some digging but there was an article about 3 years ago about how antiquated the Braves training procedures are. Also i remember Brian Jordan talking about it when he got into that little tiff with Chipper a few years ago.

• paperlions - Mar 14, 2014 at 2:01 PM

Wait just one gosh darned second. I heard tell that teams were babying pitchers too much, leading to more injuries. Shouldn’t antiquated training procedures be just the cure for such babying?

10. realgone2 - Mar 14, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I knew it. If it was just Medlen they wouldn’t have gone over budget with Santana. They were bluffing on the seriousness of Beachy’s arm issues.

• recoveringcubsfan - Mar 14, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Overpaying for Santana (which is open to debate and depends on how well he does, I think) only fills one rotation slot. If they knew they needed 2 arms, they might have tried something else, too.

• realgone2 - Mar 14, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Nah. They are hoping that Hale or Wood can break out, that Garcia isn’t complete garbage, and Floyd will be decent when he is ready in June.

11. schlom - Mar 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I don’t know if a lot of people saw this but Jon Roegele of @MLBPlayerAnalys made a spreadsheet of all players with Tommy John surgeries:

Jason Isringhausen is the only player to get three but there’s been a lot that have had two. However other than maybe Chris Capuano no starting pitcher has really been able to come back and be successful after their second which is bad news for Medlen, Cory Luebke, and now possibly Beachy. Plenty of relievers have succeeded despite two though.

12. shanabartels - Mar 14, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Nothing like a little Goofus and Gallant to take the edge off finding out you need Tommy John surgery for the second time.

13. toodrunktotastethischicken - Mar 14, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Do the Braves have any Major league ready starting prospects since Alex Wood and Hale will be in the rotation in all likeliness now?

• realgone2 - Mar 14, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Nope.

14. nfloyd52 - Mar 14, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Something is wrong here. Braves have to many pitching related injuries. The trainers would be at the top of my list. Maybe Dr. Andrews is losing his touch. I don’t know but I would be wary to be a pitcher in this organization. Especially a young pitcher with a promising future.

15. zdravit - Mar 14, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Does Dr. Andrews suck at his job now?

16. Reflex - Mar 14, 2014 at 3:32 PM

I called this. Beachy and Medlen are both Inverted W pitchers. Its too bad, I like them quite a bit.

17. musketmaniac - Mar 14, 2014 at 4:19 PM

couldn’t have happened to a nicer organization.

18. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 14, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Before the Braves signed Santana: Beachy is like, totally fine.

After the Braves signed Santana: Scratch that, Beachy died yesterday.

Negotiation at its finest.

• realgone2 - Mar 14, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Bingo!

19. straightouttavtown - Mar 14, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I guess Ervin signed too early. He would have even more leverage now. Unless the Braves want to roll with Freddy Garcia LOL.

20. straightouttavtown - Mar 14, 2014 at 5:43 PM

BTW what’s up with all this FAILED Tommy John surgery? It happened with Daniel Hudson and Cory Luebke and now Beachy.

21. President Charles Logan - Mar 14, 2014 at 8:04 PM

When Johan Santana gets released from the Orioles , I bet the Braves give him a look.

Three legends off to Cooperstown