Mar 14, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
A couple days after the Ryne Sandberg-Jimmy Rollins foofaraw broke, Ryne Sandberg is still insisting that benching Rollins for a couple of days is not a disciplinary thing or about him sending a message. People in the know aren’t buying that.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com is one. He wrote last night that the timing was too perfect to accept that it was merely about wanting to give Freddy Galvis reps:
Sandberg’s there’s-nothing-to-see-here story became a little tough to believe when it became clear he was bothered by a recent comment that Rollins made in the Philadelphia Daily News.
On Monday, with the losses and the 0-fers piling up, Rollins said something to the effect that he wasn’t concerned about the way things were going because it was just spring training.
“Who cares?” he said.
The comment hit the paper Tuesday morning, the same day that Rollins was abruptly scratched from the lineup.
And then there is this tweet from Jayson Stark this morning:
Longtime friend of Ryne Sandberg not buying spin that he didn’t mean anything by that “no comment” on Rollins. Said “that was on purpose”
— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) March 14, 2014
Apparently Rollins and Sandberg spoke yesterday. For everyone’s sake apart from the reporters, you hope they resolved things. Because this sort of drama is no way to start off a season.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 21
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 117
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)