Mar 14, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
I often note at this time of year that spring training means nothing. The team is 10-3? Your left fielder is batting .429? That’s swell. But it also means nothing because spring training results often — heck, mostly — don’t carry over into the regular season. Even when they do, there’s no reliable way to know beforehand that they were going to.
But health is a different matter. A sore something-or-other is a sore something-or-other be it in early March or early April. So look to health, more than anything else, when trying to figure out if your team is doomed out of the gate or not.
The Rangers aren’t doomed. Far from it. But they do have a couple of key dudes who aren’t feeling 100%:
— Jeff Wilson (@JeffWilson_FWST) March 14, 2014
The minor elbow pain Shin-Soo Choo experienced a week ago has lingered, and Thursday he received an injection of anti-inflammatory medication to combat it.
Beltre has dealt with leg issues in the past — and so much of his power comes from that to-the-knee swing he employs, which is so very much leg-generated. As such, a bad lower half could be bad news for Beltre.
As for Choo, he says that the pain is normal for him this time of spring training and that it always clears up after ten days or so. Were it the regular season, he’d be playing every day, no worries.
Worth watching in the early going.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (106)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)