Mar 14, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
I often note at this time of year that spring training means nothing. The team is 10-3? Your left fielder is batting .429? That’s swell. But it also means nothing because spring training results often — heck, mostly — don’t carry over into the regular season. Even when they do, there’s no reliable way to know beforehand that they were going to.
But health is a different matter. A sore something-or-other is a sore something-or-other be it in early March or early April. So look to health, more than anything else, when trying to figure out if your team is doomed out of the gate or not.
The Rangers aren’t doomed. Far from it. But they do have a couple of key dudes who aren’t feeling 100%:
— Jeff Wilson (@JeffWilson_FWST) March 14, 2014
The minor elbow pain Shin-Soo Choo experienced a week ago has lingered, and Thursday he received an injection of anti-inflammatory medication to combat it.
Beltre has dealt with leg issues in the past — and so much of his power comes from that to-the-knee swing he employs, which is so very much leg-generated. As such, a bad lower half could be bad news for Beltre.
As for Choo, he says that the pain is normal for him this time of spring training and that it always clears up after ten days or so. Were it the regular season, he’d be playing every day, no worries.
Worth watching in the early going.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)