Mar 14, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
I often note at this time of year that spring training means nothing. The team is 10-3? Your left fielder is batting .429? That’s swell. But it also means nothing because spring training results often — heck, mostly — don’t carry over into the regular season. Even when they do, there’s no reliable way to know beforehand that they were going to.
But health is a different matter. A sore something-or-other is a sore something-or-other be it in early March or early April. So look to health, more than anything else, when trying to figure out if your team is doomed out of the gate or not.
The Rangers aren’t doomed. Far from it. But they do have a couple of key dudes who aren’t feeling 100%:
— Jeff Wilson (@JeffWilson_FWST) March 14, 2014
The minor elbow pain Shin-Soo Choo experienced a week ago has lingered, and Thursday he received an injection of anti-inflammatory medication to combat it.
Beltre has dealt with leg issues in the past — and so much of his power comes from that to-the-knee swing he employs, which is so very much leg-generated. As such, a bad lower half could be bad news for Beltre.
As for Choo, he says that the pain is normal for him this time of spring training and that it always clears up after ten days or so. Were it the regular season, he’d be playing every day, no worries.
Worth watching in the early going.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)