Mar 14, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT
This hit the news two weeks ago, but I missed it because I was derping around Florida. It appears that no resolution has been announced yet, however, so it’s still an operative controversy, as we in the controversy business say.
A Texas-based foundation — The Braden Aboud Memorial Foundation — has been in negotiations with the Boston Red Sox over the latter’s use of the “B-Strong” logo and slogan. The foundation, named after 14-year-old Braden Aboud, who died in a skiing accident — trademarked “B-Strong” for its charitable efforts in 2007. According to Aboud’s father, who runs the foundation, the Aboud foundation’s trademark is getting confused with and potentially overtaken by Red Sox-related “B-Strong” imagery in Google searches and the like. Which is kind of a big problem when you have a trademark for a similarly-purposed undertaking. Here, charitable efforts.
Also a problem: the Sox, while diverting a portion of “B-Strong” merchandise revenues to charity, do keep a portion of it and profit off “B-Strong” merchandise. That doesn’t sit well with Aboud. The Aboud Foundation is 100% non-profit. A cease and desist letter was sent to the Red Sox in May. Since then the sides have been negotiating about it, but it may very well wind up in court.
It’s a really unfortunate situation, as both uses of “B-Strong” are rooted in tragedy and philanthropy. Here’s hoping some sort of amicable resolution can be reached.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)