Mar 14, 2014, 8:37 AM EDT
This hit the news two weeks ago, but I missed it because I was derping around Florida. It appears that no resolution has been announced yet, however, so it’s still an operative controversy, as we in the controversy business say.
A Texas-based foundation — The Braden Aboud Memorial Foundation — has been in negotiations with the Boston Red Sox over the latter’s use of the “B-Strong” logo and slogan. The foundation, named after 14-year-old Braden Aboud, who died in a skiing accident — trademarked “B-Strong” for its charitable efforts in 2007. According to Aboud’s father, who runs the foundation, the Aboud foundation’s trademark is getting confused with and potentially overtaken by Red Sox-related “B-Strong” imagery in Google searches and the like. Which is kind of a big problem when you have a trademark for a similarly-purposed undertaking. Here, charitable efforts.
Also a problem: the Sox, while diverting a portion of “B-Strong” merchandise revenues to charity, do keep a portion of it and profit off “B-Strong” merchandise. That doesn’t sit well with Aboud. The Aboud Foundation is 100% non-profit. A cease and desist letter was sent to the Red Sox in May. Since then the sides have been negotiating about it, but it may very well wind up in court.
It’s a really unfortunate situation, as both uses of “B-Strong” are rooted in tragedy and philanthropy. Here’s hoping some sort of amicable resolution can be reached.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)