Mar 14, 2014, 3:04 PM EST
Glen Perkins was already under team control through 2015, with a team option for 2016, but the Twins and their 31-year-old closer have agreed to an extension that runs through at least 2017.
Perkins is a Minnesota native who starred for the University of Minnesota and is very active in local charities (along with being a really good, fan-friendly follow on Twitter), so it’s no surprise that he wants to stick around long term.
As part of the reworked contract/extension Perkins will get $4.025 million this season, $4.65 million in 2015, $6.3 million in 2016, and $6.5 million in 2017, with a $6.5 million team option for 2018.
Perkins has established himself as one of baseball’s best left-handed relievers since moving to the bullpen full time in 2011, posting a 2.45 ERA and 220 strikeouts in 195 innings during that time. Last season, in his first year as a full-time closer, he saved 36 games with a 2.30 ERA and 77/15 K/BB ratio in 63 innings while making his first All-Star team.
Helluva pitcher, helluva person, and helluva reasonable contract for the Twins.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)