Mar 14, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
Glen Perkins was already under team control through 2015, with a team option for 2016, but the Twins and their 31-year-old closer have agreed to an extension that runs through at least 2017.
Perkins is a Minnesota native who starred for the University of Minnesota and is very active in local charities (along with being a really good, fan-friendly follow on Twitter), so it’s no surprise that he wants to stick around long term.
As part of the reworked contract/extension Perkins will get $4.025 million this season, $4.65 million in 2015, $6.3 million in 2016, and $6.5 million in 2017, with a $6.5 million team option for 2018.
Perkins has established himself as one of baseball’s best left-handed relievers since moving to the bullpen full time in 2011, posting a 2.45 ERA and 220 strikeouts in 195 innings during that time. Last season, in his first year as a full-time closer, he saved 36 games with a 2.30 ERA and 77/15 K/BB ratio in 63 innings while making his first All-Star team.
Helluva pitcher, helluva person, and helluva reasonable contract for the Twins.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 32
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 20
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)