Mar 15, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Jackie Bradley, Jr. has all of five hits in Grapefruit League play through 30 at-bats, but he is still on track to be the starting center fielder for the Red Sox when they break camp and head north at the end of March, according to Jason Mastrodonato of Masslive.com. Veteran Grady Sizemore, starting Saturday evening’s game against the Phillies, is also competing for playing time and is hitting .306 in 13 at-bats, but the Red Sox seem likely to side with youth in this case.
Bradley, 23, struggled in a brief taste of big league action last year, hitting .189 in 107 plate appearances. Taken in the first round of the 2011 draft, Bradley was rated one of baseball’s best prospects across the board entering last season.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 14
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 18
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)