Mar 15, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
Jackie Bradley, Jr. has all of five hits in Grapefruit League play through 30 at-bats, but he is still on track to be the starting center fielder for the Red Sox when they break camp and head north at the end of March, according to Jason Mastrodonato of Masslive.com. Veteran Grady Sizemore, starting Saturday evening’s game against the Phillies, is also competing for playing time and is hitting .306 in 13 at-bats, but the Red Sox seem likely to side with youth in this case.
Bradley, 23, struggled in a brief taste of big league action last year, hitting .189 in 107 plate appearances. Taken in the first round of the 2011 draft, Bradley was rated one of baseball’s best prospects across the board entering last season.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 24
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 83
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 17
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (85)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)