Mar 15, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
The Orioles still haven’t ruled out the possibility that third baseman Manny Machado will be ready for Opening Day, but it’s increasingly likely that he will begin the season on the disabled list.
Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com reports that Machado has been unable to run for the past five days due to scar tissue in his surgically-repaired left knee. It’s not a serious setback, as he’s able to do everything else besides running. However, a check-up with Dr. Neal ElAttrache, which was tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, will not happen until he’s able to resume running. In other words, he’s not close to game action yet.
“There’s no sense in doing that [appointment] until he can really show them what he can do running,” manager Buck Showalter said of Machado’s final evaluation, which would give him the green-light to play spring games. “So, that’s got to get cleared up first, where he’s back running again. And then he can completely clear him again. I heard from Manny [operating surgeon Dr. Neal ElAttrache has] got a vacation home in Naples, so we are trying to hook that up. Anything to avoid having to go to the west coast, but if that’s what we have to do that that’s what we have to do.
While it would be great to see Machado be in the Orioles’ lineup on Opening Day, the calendar is working against him. Besides, it wouldn’t be the end of the world if he needs the first week or two of the season to get back to 100 percent and shake the rust in some minor league games. Given his importance to the Orioles’ future, there’s no need to rush things.
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 0
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 22
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (68)