Mar 15, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
The Orioles still haven’t ruled out the possibility that third baseman Manny Machado will be ready for Opening Day, but it’s increasingly likely that he will begin the season on the disabled list.
Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com reports that Machado has been unable to run for the past five days due to scar tissue in his surgically-repaired left knee. It’s not a serious setback, as he’s able to do everything else besides running. However, a check-up with Dr. Neal ElAttrache, which was tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, will not happen until he’s able to resume running. In other words, he’s not close to game action yet.
“There’s no sense in doing that [appointment] until he can really show them what he can do running,” manager Buck Showalter said of Machado’s final evaluation, which would give him the green-light to play spring games. “So, that’s got to get cleared up first, where he’s back running again. And then he can completely clear him again. I heard from Manny [operating surgeon Dr. Neal ElAttrache has] got a vacation home in Naples, so we are trying to hook that up. Anything to avoid having to go to the west coast, but if that’s what we have to do that that’s what we have to do.
While it would be great to see Machado be in the Orioles’ lineup on Opening Day, the calendar is working against him. Besides, it wouldn’t be the end of the world if he needs the first week or two of the season to get back to 100 percent and shake the rust in some minor league games. Given his importance to the Orioles’ future, there’s no need to rush things.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 3
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 16
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)