Mar 15, 2014, 12:20 PM EST
The Orioles still haven’t ruled out the possibility that third baseman Manny Machado will be ready for Opening Day, but it’s increasingly likely that he will begin the season on the disabled list.
Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com reports that Machado has been unable to run for the past five days due to scar tissue in his surgically-repaired left knee. It’s not a serious setback, as he’s able to do everything else besides running. However, a check-up with Dr. Neal ElAttrache, which was tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, will not happen until he’s able to resume running. In other words, he’s not close to game action yet.
“There’s no sense in doing that [appointment] until he can really show them what he can do running,” manager Buck Showalter said of Machado’s final evaluation, which would give him the green-light to play spring games. “So, that’s got to get cleared up first, where he’s back running again. And then he can completely clear him again. I heard from Manny [operating surgeon Dr. Neal ElAttrache has] got a vacation home in Naples, so we are trying to hook that up. Anything to avoid having to go to the west coast, but if that’s what we have to do that that’s what we have to do.
While it would be great to see Machado be in the Orioles’ lineup on Opening Day, the calendar is working against him. Besides, it wouldn’t be the end of the world if he needs the first week or two of the season to get back to 100 percent and shake the rust in some minor league games. Given his importance to the Orioles’ future, there’s no need to rush things.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)