Mar 15, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
The Braves bolstered their suddenly shaky rotation earlier this week when they signed right-hander Ervin Santana to a one-year, $14.1 million contract, but general manager Frank Wren told FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal this morning via phone that he isn’t planning to add another starter even with Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy potentially headed for another Tommy John surgery.
“Right now, we plan on going with what we have,” Wren said. “We like what we have.”
Which means the Braves appear content relying on Julio Teheran, Freddy Garcia, Alex Wood, and David Hale to hold down the fort for now. The hope is that Santana will be game-ready by the time the Braves need a fifth starter for the first time. Mike Minor, who had a urinary tract procedure in late December and dealt with shoulder soreness upon reporting to camp, could be ready to join the rotation by mid-April.
There should be more help on the way soon. Gavin Floyd, who signed a one-year, $4 million deal with the Braves over the winter, is currently working his way back from Tommy John surgery and flexor tendon surgery. Wren said he has been “extremely impressive” during his rehab and could join the rotation in mid-May.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)