Mar 15, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Well, this is fantastic.
The Orioles will be a must-watch in their Grapefruit League game against the Yankees this afternoon, as Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun notes that Nelson Cruz will make the start in center field. Oh, but that’s not all. He’ll be flanked by Delmon Young in right field and Steve Pearce in left. Today’s starter, Chris Tillman, has a 41.6 percent fly ball rate for his career, so it should be fun out there.
Don’t worry, Orioles fans (and pitchers), it would take some unique circumstances to see this sort of defensive alignment during the regular season. This is mostly a matter of the team not having enough bodies around, as Nick Markakis is banged up, Adam Jones is away from the team following the birth of his son, and David Lough isn’t available. Enjoy it while you can.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 109
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 153
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)