Mar 15, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Well, this is fantastic.
The Orioles will be a must-watch in their Grapefruit League game against the Yankees this afternoon, as Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun notes that Nelson Cruz will make the start in center field. Oh, but that’s not all. He’ll be flanked by Delmon Young in right field and Steve Pearce in left. Today’s starter, Chris Tillman, has a 41.6 percent fly ball rate for his career, so it should be fun out there.
Don’t worry, Orioles fans (and pitchers), it would take some unique circumstances to see this sort of defensive alignment during the regular season. This is mostly a matter of the team not having enough bodies around, as Nick Markakis is banged up, Adam Jones is away from the team following the birth of his son, and David Lough isn’t available. Enjoy it while you can.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)